Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Labrador Puppy Born with Green Coat in UK

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/10/10/labrador-puppy-born-with-green-coat/#photo=1

Very interesting

Re: Labrador Puppy Born with Green Coat in UK

He is not the first light colored puppy stained this way, and he will not be the last. One's whelping towels and even under the fingernails get stained green, too, if one isn't wearing gloves and there has been a distressed puppy.

Definately. Maybe Green will be the next craze.

Yep - we had a litter whelped on December 24th some years back and nicknamed the nine puppies after Santa's reindeer, plus Rudolph. Then surprise - here comes a yellow boy and he was greenish like this one. His name became Olive - "Olive The Other Reindeer". Damn - two years later some lady comes out with a children's book called "Olive, the Other Reindeer" and a whole line of "stuff". I still can't believe we let that one pass us by... LOL!!!

Oh - the green boy's adoptive family named him.... "Cash"!

The following is part of the article:

After a few clicks they found that Hulk had a rare condition that occurs when the dog's mother is exposed to a substance called biliverdin, which can be found in the placenta, during pregnancy

Thankfully, the condition is not harmful to the pup, causing only a temporary discoloration (and shock in all who see him). As is typical with this issue, Hulk's unusual glow gradually disappeared over a few weeks. The peppy pup is now the same shade as his siblings

I had one last year. It is not the same green from the placenta pigments. The puppy was greenish and stayed like that for about a week. I didn't make a big fuss about it.