Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ortho drugs

What is the drug of choice now for senior dogs? I am hearing that some like Metacam (sp?) but I don't know a thing about it.
I hear Rimadyl is bad for long term?

Re: Ortho drugs

NEEDY
What is the drug of choice now for senior dogs? I am hearing that some like Metacam (sp?) but I don't know a thing about it.
I hear Rimadyl is bad for long term?

Do not give Rimadyl. Too many Labs having reactions to this and dying.

I gave my old dog Meloxicam the last three years of life. It helped tremendously with arthritis. It is also really affordable. I would pay less than $10 for a 60 day supply.

Different NSAIDS work differently with different dogs, as in humans.

The number of incidents of problems with Rimadyl, when you look at the breed as a whole (and whose numbers are greater than anyone's), they are no different between breeds. Each manufacturer can give you numbers for their medications and reaction rates. All have to be reported to FDA. Some companies do a better on of reporting than do others. All NSAIDS can do damage and have. They create ulcers among humans.

I have tried all. My current aging dog is on Rimadyl with much success. Meloxicam did nothing for him. Supportive care such as Fish Oil, Adequan and Dasuquin MSM also do wonders. My boy is 9, show bred, with elbow dysplasia and running master tests. He is on all of the above supportive therapy and Rimadyl as needed.

There are a couple of threads on this on the forum if you do a search on NSAIDS. Also do a search by company and call them with questions. Numbers will be on the websites.

Good luck!

Sue Puff

Also, if you are not giving a good supplement or enough of a supplement, you need to remedy that first. I talk to quite a few folks about this, and I am so surprised that many don't even go the route of supplements and then want to give their dogs drugs. I have 2 seniors on Canine Hylasport. It's been a miracle for one of my dogs. I used to have to give her Metacam after a heavy retrieving session...now I never give it anymore.

Use which NSAID works best for your dog. I have had dogs on rimadyl daily for years with no ill effects. Dasuquin, though pricey, does make a difference as well. Omega 3's are also helpful, and Adequan injections also can be very effective. If you have not tried supplements first, go that route before jumping to NSAIDS, they should be saved for when nothing else is helping enough.

I definitely think that you should be supplementing. I also like Tramadol but it is just a pain masker will do nothing for inflimation. then i use Rymadil sparingly on an as needed bases.

So please share your dosages on the various supplements you use. Adequan injections for the most part, did nothing. Nor did Rimadyl. I just want my elderly more comfortable. So how much Salmon Oil, Dasuquin MSM, Glucosamine & Chrondrotin, Mobic?

What age dog are you talking about?

Sue Puff

Deramaxx only when it comes to Doggy NSAIDS for older seniors. 1 of my older girls did poorly with Rimadyl and it ultimately killed her. Vet didn't want her in often enough for blood work. I came in more often but we didn't catch it in time. It destroyed her liver which was healthy before. It took 1 month for that to happen. She was almost 14.

I don't recommend Rimadyl and there is a reason many don't like it.

I have two 13 year olds, my old aussie does fine on an occasional Rimadyl

the male lab has back problems and was doing well on a daily dose of Dermaxx.
My vets have had a hard time getting a hold of Dermaxx, say it has been on back order for months now.

We tried the old man on Rimadyl but he did not react to it well and had issues walking.
Following a thread on this site I switched to Metacam, vet called in to pharmancy, 1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet a day, cost $10.00 for 60 days worth.
this has been working even better than the dermaxx.

gabapentin

my vet is trying gabapentin with our old girl...plus adequan and glucosamine/condroitin.

Re: gabapentin

My 12 year old arthritic all-American breed boy is on Gabapentin 100 mg 2xs day, 1 tab Tramadol 50mg 2 xs day, 1/2 tab Meloxicam 7.5 mg 1x day, Fish oil 1000 mg 1x day, Milk Thistle extract (a liver cleanser)175 mg 1x day. He also gets pet chiropractic and cold laser treatments. We also do a liver panel every 3 mos. This seems like a lot of medication but he runs, plays keep away and charges up the hill in our yard with the other 3 labs. When he arrived he couldn't put any weight on his right hind leg. His medication has given him a new lease on life and has made him comfortable.

Before we inherited this old guy, he was having adequan treatments. Our son could not afford them and had to stop, the old guy soon reverted back to his lameness. Our vet said that the gluco/chondroitin seems 'selective' on who it will help. He promotes fish oil, in fact I have all 3 labs on 1 softgel a day.

Good luck with your old gal. I'm sure she still has a lot of more living to do and wants to do it in comfort.