Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heart Check Preference

What is the preferred heart check - auscultation or the Doppler/Echo? What is the reason you choose to do the test that you do?

Thanks in advance

Re: Heart Check Preference

http://www.facebook.com/groups/TVDinLabs/ lengthy discussion on that here

The only method I use is Echo doppler. A matter of fact; I won't do a breeding if both parents don't have them.

I have never done auscultation alone ever since echo dopplers are available at clinic prices. Prices run $90 to $175 typically. Echo dopplers are done along with auscultation for those costs, not a bad deal at all.

Auscultation alone can miss 20% or more murmurs. Ask the majority of veterinary cardiologists. I will not use an internist or general practitioner, only a cardiologist.

The majority of decent stud dogs seem to have echo dopplers today. More bitches seem to have them also then they use to 2-3 years ago. I'm still shocked when doing pedigree research how many Labs don't have an echo done at times. Yes; I contact the breeder to ask.

I hope the trend continues of more echos and we start to see multi-generational echo dopplers in lines. Without a genetic test it's the best testing we can do.

hands down

Auscultation alone can miss 20% or more murmurs. Ask the majority of veterinary cardiologists. I will not use an internist or general practitioner, only a cardiologist.

Please give a research reference to support this "fact" about 20% inaccuracy of auscultation. Is this published somewhere? Are you counting the false positives as well as the false negatives for auscultation?

Veterinary cardiologists have not come to agreement about the best approach for screening. They don't even agree about what is normal for regurgitation. When they do come to consensus, they will issue a statement about their conclusion. No statement means no consensus.

The cardiologist I take my dogs to told me, auscultation is fine for most dogs, unless there is a known family history of cardiac problems, or a popular stud dog, who will sire many, many litters; in those cases he advised an echo. This is what the cardiologist told me.

The two cardiologists that I use both agree that an auscultation is not sufficient to detect TVD due to the location of the valve and the dense body mass of the Ladrador. Both also agree that the numbers mentioned above are correct. Even in their practices, 5 to 20 % of the dogs they exam initially by auscultation who appear normal, do not pass their echocardiograms. They urge anyone who considers breeding their dogs to have both parents echoed.

cc
The cardiologist I take my dogs to told me, auscultation is fine for most dogs, unless there is a known family history of cardiac problems, or a popular stud dog, who will sire many, many litters; in those cases he advised an echo. This is what the cardiologist told me.

We must see the same cardio guy because this is what I was told also.

lub dub
cc

We must see the same cardio guy because this is what I was told also.

Same here; the doc wouldn't let me 'waste my money', he said.

why waste your money on a cheap test when you can waste your money on an expensive test

It's not a laughing matter. The best we can do to help ensure health in our puppies is to utilize screening tools. One of them being an echo color doppler. You want to 'really' know the status of the heart that is what you do.

a fool and his money are soon parted

scientist
hands down

Please give a research reference to support this "fact" about 20% inaccuracy of auscultation. Is this published somewhere? Are you counting the false positives as well as the false negatives for auscultation?

Veterinary cardiologists have not come to agreement about the best approach for screening. They don't even agree about what is normal for regurgitation. When they do come to consensus, they will issue a statement about their conclusion. No statement means no consensus.

Scientist, shrink, Kate or whoever you are, what are you reading? I am reading *CAN MISS 20%*. No one said auscultation always does although we know it can. Try attending Meg Sleeper's talks instead of listening to your 1 NC cardiologist.

I would rather spend my money on an echo, it's visual & auditory testing. I'm not cheap about what I spend on my dogs. If I'm going to test I'll use the best out there. Why bother using antiquated testing?

If you want a research reference, go find it yourself. I lost all my bookmarks and I'm just getting them back. I don't even know if I had a reference. I go with what's up to date today. You my friend can live in the past if thats what you want to do.

By the way, where are your research references to support your fact?
I knew you would be headed for this topic. I should have replied before you.

gee i didn't know you could breed echos.

cut no corner
It's not a laughing matter. The best we can do to help ensure health in our puppies is to utilize screening tools. One of them being an echo color doppler. You want to 'really' know the status of the heart that is what you do.
Here, here! Well explained.

The breeder that is laughing should stop. This is far from a laughing matter. When I hear of breeders pups dropping dead in their newer homes my own heart breaks. I don't want to get a family or vet phone call, better chance of it not happening is spending a small mount of money on echos.

The problem is that a dog can have TVD and still pass auscultation. My very nice male, with no family history, passed auscultation. In his third litter, he produced a puppy with severe TVD. Echo revealed my stud dog had TVD where a very defective valve managed to close completely.

Yes, you save money, but you will not be certain that a dog clearing auscultation is clear of TVD.

Sue
The problem is that a dog can have TVD and still pass auscultation.

drat. i thought the problem was that a dog can pass an echo and still produce tvd.

Is hahaha a lunatic? TVD is a serious health issue and nothing to laugh about.

Hahahaha is not a lunatic, sarcastic perhaps, but entitled to their own opinion. I don't think there are that many dogs dropping dead- if there were, we would be hearing all about it, and we're just not. There is not agreement among cardiologists about this, and if they cant come to a consensus, why on earth do you expect folks on this forum to? Do what you are comfortable with and move on. If the stud dog you like doesn't have an echo clearance & that is important to you, pick another dog-- we don't have a rare breed and there are plenty to choose from.

Sue
The problem is that a dog can have TVD and still pass auscultation. My very nice male, with no family history, passed auscultation. In his third litter, he produced a puppy with severe TVD. Echo revealed my stud dog had TVD where a very defective valve managed to close completely.

Yes, you save money, but you will not be certain that a dog clearing auscultation is clear of TVD.

Yep, I agree Sue.

Auscultation saves the breeder money, and could pass horrible costs right along to the puppy buyer and poor affected puppy. Speaking from experience here as owner of TVD dog whose sire's seemingly normal heart was echo'ed after my puppy was diagnosed. Surprise!

I will not breed my current competition girl, from echo-cleared parents, without one. Would be hard-pressed to use a non-echo'ed stud dog. Experience has made a believer of me, I didn't worry about cardiac clearances before.

I think hahaha is really Joe Biden.

Sue

It sounds like the vet that did the auscultation wasn't proficient in auscultation.

MO
I think hahaha is really Joe Biden.
If not a close match or relative to him.

lub dub
Sue

It sounds like the vet that did the auscultation wasn't proficient in auscultation.
Not neccesarily so. How many times have I heard 10% - 20% of dogs with TVD the murmur can't be heard, even with the best of vets doing it in a quiet room. With echo's, the vets get to compare what they hear to what they see. That's where the %age comparison comes from.

Lub Dub, you missed my point. The dog had absolutely NO murmur, still doesn't. His long, abnormally shaped valve leaves close completely.

Here's my point again - TVD can be silent!!!!

Well then THATS not TVD!
TVD is LEAKAGE of the Triscuspid valve.
There are other heart issues besides TVD, just like there are other form of PRA besides the ONE we can test for.

Sue
Lub Dub, you missed my point. The dog had absolutely NO murmur, still doesn't. His long, abnormally shaped valve leaves close completely.

Here's my point again - TVD can be silent!!!!

Brdr
Well then THATS not TVD!
TVD is LEAKAGE of the Triscuspid valve. There are other heart issues besides TVD, just like there are other form of PRA besides the ONE we can test for.

Not exactly, by very definition, dysplasia is an abnormality in development, in this case, varying amounts of thickening of tricuspid valve leaflets, the leaflets can be severely thickened, and the chordae tendinae can be hypoplastic. Dysplasia is not by definition, leakage of the valve. Interestingly, you mention other heart issues besides TVD, yes, you are right, and they can be seen and found during a cardiac echo.

Dysplasia definition:
dysplasia /dys·pla·sia/ (dis-pla´zhah)
1. abnormality of development.
2. in pathology, alteration in size, shape, and organization of adult cells.dysplas´tic

the valve is functioning effectively and normally for that dog. get a second opinion.

No, TVD is DYSPLASIA - or abnormality - of the tricuspid valve. His valve and heart shape are abnormal as per TVD. but the long leaves of the valve actually do close. TVD usually involves leakage, but doesn't have to.

He's been seen by multiple vets and a very good cardiologist. Trust me, he has tricuspid valve DYSPLASIA and has produced severe TVD. Goes without saying he and his close relatives are neutered and in good pet homes.

Sue
No, TVD is DYSPLASIA - or abnormality - of the tricuspid valve. His valve and heart shape are abnormal as per TVD. but the long leaves of the valve actually do close. TVD usually involves leakage, but doesn't have to.

He's been seen by multiple vets and a very good cardiologist. Trust me, he has tricuspid valve DYSPLASIA and has produced severe TVD. Goes without saying he and his close relatives are neutered and in good pet homes.

what can multiple vets contribute if he doesn't have a murmur? who decided he produced tvd.

Mild TVD can be missed by auscultation and a mild can live basically a normal life and a owner would never know. The Cardiologist I use always said "Auscultation is fine, not to do an echo unless something was suspected or heard"....that was until a puppy I know off was taken in for a echo who had severe TVD, this was from generations of both sides being cleared by the same Cardiologist with auscultations.

No one wants to produce TVD, but no one wants to hear that their dog has or produced it either. We are living fear knowing that after generations we may have to stop breeding a line we have, even if it is a mild case found by echo. We really need to work together to stop this horrible disease...Support TVD research at Penn State! If they can find the marker for PRA, EIC and CM maybe they can find it for TVD and it could be a simple DNA test to find out. I wish Cardiologist would help us out a little more bringing the cost down for echo's, maybe then more would do them.

hahaha

what can multiple vets contribute if he doesn't have a murmur? who decided he produced tvd.

WHAT is your problem??? I don't care if you don't check your dogs' hearts, but there is clear evidence that a) TVD is a problem in Labradors, b) some dogs pass auscultation and even echos and still produce TVD, and c) severe TVD is obvious to any cardiologist via diagnosis with echo.

Now go climb back in your hole and don't bother the rest of us who care about the heart health of our dogs!

Breeder....
some dogs pass auscultation and even echos and still produce TVD...

If dogs pass echos and still produce TVD, we are screwed. We might as well all give up breeding. The CHANCE of producing a TVD puppy is too great to continue breeding for any of us.

bdr
Breeder....

If dogs pass echos and still produce TVD, we are screwed. We might as well all give up breeding. The CHANCE of producing a TVD puppy is too great to continue breeding for any of us.

Ignoring your sarcasm ~ you are NOW beginning to understand the problem. Yes, dogs that are clear and pass echos CAN produce TVD-affected puppies. That's why we need the genetic research; to understand why that happens.

Lightbulb
bdr
Breeder....

Ignoring your sarcasm ~ you are NOW beginning to understand the problem. Yes, dogs that are clear and pass echos CAN produce TVD-affected puppies. That's why we need the genetic research; to understand why that happens.

at last a voice of sanity.

Lightbulb
bdr
Breeder....

Yes, but the chances of generations of echo-cleared dogs producing TVD lessen with every subsequent generation (want to do the math on it???). Therefore it makes scientific sense to echo all breeding dogs, thereby REDUCING the chances of producing TVD.

The SAME reasoning applies to joint clearances! We have NOT figured out how to eliminate hip and elbow dysplasia - we just know that the more generations we have of cleared dogs, the fewer dysplastic dogs are produced. So using your reasoning as well - we might as well stop breeding due to incomplete joint data and inability to guarantee we won't produce a dog with dysplasia!

Breeder
Lightbulb
bdr
Breeder....

Yes, but the chances of generations of echo-cleared dogs producing TVD lessen with every subsequent generation (want to do the math on it???). Therefore it makes scientific sense to echo all breeding dogs, thereby REDUCING the chances of producing TVD.

The SAME reasoning applies to joint clearances! We have NOT figured out how to eliminate hip and elbow dysplasia - we just know that the more generations we have of cleared dogs, the fewer dysplastic dogs are produced. So using your reasoning as well - we might as well stop breeding due to incomplete joint data and inability to guarantee we won't produce a dog with dysplasia!
Well explained. It's simple to understand. Comparing it to hip and elbow ratings, no one should have a problem understanding the need for echos.

The genetic testing is going to take forever. Some breeders said 6 to 9 mo. several years ago. They were definitely wrong. The scientists are not much further along today then initially. They're out of money but can't seem to tell us that call about that part.

AKC and OFA should be helping with funding and we, the breeders could do fund raisers perhaaps.

Thanks for a simple explanation for those that still didn't get it. If they still don't then they're lacking a brain.

Breeder

you're joking, right? fewer dysplastic dogs? if you liked that one, you'll love the one about how ERG was better at eliminating PRA than CERF was.

hahaha
Breeder

you're joking, right? fewer dysplastic dogs? if you liked that one, you'll love the one about how ERG was better at eliminating PRA than CERF was.

So you don't bother to do any clearances because there's no point? And yes - I believe the more generations of cleared dogs will reduce the chances of producing a dysplastic dog. It's like talking to a brick wall - glad I'll never use any of your dogs for breeding since I only breed to dogs with hip/elbow/eye AND heart clearances!

I like the image of a brick wall. brick walls can weather the storm of testing fads and bullies.

I saw a long term study that showed that OFA x-rays has not reduced the occurrence of hip dysplasia.

really
I saw a long term study that showed that OFA x-rays has not reduced the occurrence of hip dysplasia.

No, I wouldn't think x-rays could reduce the occurrence of hip dysplasia. JK

I would hope, however, that breeding clear dogs to clear dogs to clear dogs to clear dogs, and so on, would reduce the risk. Don't think we have any scientific data to support that though... Plus, there are environmental and nutritional influences on growth/joints too.