Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B/C & B/Y breeding

I know that normally you would not breed a b/c to a b/y
However, I really like a few b/y studs but am hesitant to ask
What are your opinions on this as stud dog owners?
Thank you for your input!

Re: B/C & B/Y breeding

Why wouldn't you breed a Bc to a By?? You'd get 25% BB, 25% Bc, and 25% By, and 25% Byc - that's a pretty nice mix to me!

NewbieABC
I know that normally you would not breed a b/c to a b/y
However, I really like a few b/y studs but am hesitant to ask
What are your opinions on this as stud dog owners?
Thank you for your input!

I've never heard "normally you would not breed a b/c to a b/y" If your mentor is teaching you this you might want to seek out someone new, have more then 1.

Pick the right dog for your bitch whatever color or color combo he is.

The combo to "avoid" is one that would produce a NBP puppy. But even then, it's not so bad because those are the first ones pet families seem to gravitate to. The only "bad" thing is that Murphy's Law would certainly make your little Dudley pup the PICK OF THE LITTER.

Where's the "LIKE" button for that comment? Love it!

B/C to B/Y is going to produce all black pups. How could pigment be an issue?

bdr
The combo to "avoid" is one that would produce a NBP puppy. But even then, it's not so bad because those are the first ones pet families seem to gravitate to. The only "bad" thing is that Murphy's Law would certainly make your little Dudley pup the PICK OF THE LITTER.

not when bc x by gives you all black puppies and pigment is a non issue

bdr

How true it is! This is what happened to me. Of course, I didn't know at the time of breeding that the female y/c also.

Black That Carries Yellow To A Black That Carries Chocolate
produces 25% BB, 25% Bc, and 25% By, and 25% Byc. No NBP in this breeding.

http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html
Check this website for color inheritance.

I have done it twice and it produced my SOLO and my GRCH CH Angus. I now wait to color test her? Yes, there are 4 disctinct color probabilities and I am excited. Go to a Stud that offers you what you want to achieve out of your lines. Perhaps your mentor just doesn't like the chocolate factor? Best of luck.

I have heard from several people over the years that you never want to mix b/y to a b/c because it is the cause of NBP. Only in one litter though have I seen this to be true, and let me tell you it was a terrible litter. Weird eye and nose pigment, not pink or black or chocolate. It was just a weird color. But this is only one litter, it could have been more than just an issue that mom was b/c and dad was b/y. Just the "old wives tail" if you would call it that!

May not be backed by proof
I have heard from several people over the years that you never want to mix b/y to a b/c because it is the cause of NBP. Only in one litter though have I seen this to be true, and let me tell you it was a terrible litter. Weird eye and nose pigment, not pink or black or chocolate. It was just a weird color. But this is only one litter, it could have been more than just an issue that mom was b/c and dad was b/y. Just the "old wives tail" if you would call it that!

There is absolutely no chance of getting a dudley or NBP by breeding a By to a Bc. None what so ever. Both parents must be or carry both chocolate and yellow. My very first litter was a Byc to a Yc. We got two NBPs. This is what the long-time, reputable breeder called them some 30 years ago. Of course one of the NBPs was stunning, but that was the chance we took. They both had beautiful dark eyes but just a dark pink nose, eye rims and lips. I really wouldn't call it brown, just dark pink. No health problems but would never step foot in the ring. People are so biased when it comes to using yellow with chocolate, but if you know your lines, do DNA testing, you can avoid producing an eebb if you really want. I see no reason to get so uptight about doing such cross. Some of the recent top quality chocolates have a yellow parent or grandparent. I believe this is one reason why we are seeing such an improvement in type in chocolates.

How about a Yb to a Bc breeding?
Hope I got the letters correct as I am very new at this.
Yellow stud , black dad, that has produced black and yellow litters.
Black bitch that had a chocolate dam.
Thanks for any advice!

New Breeder
How about a Yb to a Bc breeding?
Hope I got the letters correct as I am very new at this.
Yellow stud , black dad, that has produced black and yellow litters.
Black bitch that had a chocolate dam.
Thanks for any advice!

A yellow that does not carry a chocolate gene(eeBB) when bred to a black that carries chocolate but not yellow (EEBb) will result in an all black litter. The resulting puppies will all be By (EeBB) and 25% will be Byc (EeBb). If you are not sure if the yellow carries chocolate or not, you might be surprised with chocolates among the blacks. Even if he is Yc (eeBb), when bred to a Bc (EEBb) you will not get dudleys or NBPs. The yellow and chocolate genes must be on both sides of the pedigree. I hope this makes sense.

Yb doesn't exist. Yellow is recessive and Black is dominant. A recessive cannot carry a dominant. A yellow is pure yellow or it carries chocolate but it will never carry black. The only other option is yellow NBP which are Dudleys.

Wow

A yellow that does not carry a chocolate gene(eeBB) when bred to a black that carries chocolate but not yellow (EEBb) will result in an all black litter. The resulting puppies will all be By (EeBB) and 25% will be Byc (EeBb).

Actually, breeding eeBB x EEBb will result in (statistically) 50% EeBB and 50% EeBb (not 25%).

Breeder
Yb doesn't exist. Yellow is recessive and Black is dominant. A recessive cannot carry a dominant. A yellow is pure yellow or it carries chocolate but it will never carry black. The only other option is yellow NBP which are Dudleys.

Yellow is a masking gene. Black and Chocolate are dominant/recessive to eachother. While you usually don't say a dominant trait is "carried", that's actually exactly what you're saying if the dog is pure for yellow...it carries only black.

Breeder

Actually, breeding eeBB x EEBb will result in (statistically) 50% EeBB and 50% EeBb (not 25%).

Yes, you are correct, sorry I was using fuzzy math last night. But yes it will produce 50% By and 50% Byc.

A yellow dog can "carry" the chocolate gene and people often then call that YC although that is technically not proper. However, you should not say that chocolate is recessive to yellow. The gene (which is just really a location or section of a chromosome) that can be black or chocolate (alleles) is located on a different chromosome than the gene that controls for yellow (or not yellow).

It is interesting because the vast majority of yellow dogs do "carry" the black gene even though yellow often appears to be recessive to black. But again, the point many people miss is that the gene for black and chocolate (the chocolate allele is recessive to black) is on a different chromosome than the gene with alleles for dark/not yellow (E) and/or yellow (e).

nicole
Breeder

Yellow is a masking gene. Black and Chocolate are dominant/recessive to eachother. While you usually don't say a dominant trait is "carried", that's actually exactly what you're saying if the dog is pure for yellow...it carries only black.

just me
A yellow dog can "carry" the chocolate gene and people often then call that YC although that is technically not proper. However, you should not say that chocolate is recessive to yellow. The gene (which is just really a location or section of a chromosome) that can be black or chocolate (alleles) is located on a different chromosome than the gene that controls for yellow (or not yellow).

It is interesting because the vast majority of yellow dogs do "carry" the black gene even though yellow often appears to be recessive to black. But again, the point many people miss is that the gene for black and chocolate (the chocolate allele is recessive to black) is on a different chromosome than the gene with alleles for dark/not yellow (E) and/or yellow (e).

nicole
Breeder

When talking genetics, a carrier is always a recessive gene, hence black cannot be carried even when technically it is present in the equation.

just me

The easiest way to explain it to the lay person is that all Labradors are either black or chocolate; yellow dogs are either black or choc dogs (check pigment of nose, lips to see which) that genetically lack the ability to extend the color into their coat (hence the coat is yellow). K.I.S.S.

It is important to make the distinction between misconceptions and improper use of words.

Breeder
just me

nicole
Breeder

When talking genetics, a carrier is always a recessive gene, hence black cannot be carried even when technically it is present in the equation.

Yes, the gene that determines whether or not the black or chocolate color will be expressed is on a separate chromosome from the gene that determines the black or chocolate color. Those separate genes are passed on independently of each other because they are on different chromosomes.

Wag The Dog (1)
just me

The easiest way to explain it to the lay person is that all Labradors are either black or chocolate; yellow dogs are either black or choc dogs (check pigment of nose, lips to see which) that genetically lack the ability to extend the color into their coat (hence the coat is yellow). K.I.S.S.