Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
digital camera

my sony cybershot has bit the dust, and i need am searching for a new digital camera,

Please give me some recomendations, as i need a really good camera for taking pics of my labs.

Re: digital camera

I see people taking great pics & video with their I-phones & Ipads

Cameras - I have a nice Canon EOS 50 (I think that's correct)
& I have a Canon Rebel which is nice

Just remember - the lens makes much more of a difference in the quality of your photos than the camera. And spending $1000 on a lens is a drop in the bucket for some of us!

I LOVED my Sony camera and was sorry when my laptop could no longer read the disks.

I received an Olympus pocket camera for Christmas and I am delighted with it. It takes fabulous pictures every time, even of my chocolate lab. It also takes videos! I love the small size, and the fact that it re-charges itself from my laptop as I am downloading the pictures.

I love my Nikon D-90.

I love my Nikon too!

I have a Sonny Alpha 300 with the 2 lenses that come with the basic kit:
A 3.5-5.6/18-70 and a 4.5-5.6/75-300.

It is a good entry level camera, but I need something better now. So, I need to either spend some big money in a good Sonny lens or get a whole new camera.

Barbara Roosevelt
I love my Nikon D-90.
I beleive she means a Point & Shoot.

Breeder

It is a good entry level camera, but I need something better now. So, I need to either spend some big money in a good Sonny lens or get a whole new camera.

Well, that's kind of an oxymoron - Sony isn't really known for top-quality lenses. I'd suggest buying a higher-end used Canon or Nikon camera, then a good 70-200 lens with the lowest aperture you can afford (f2.8 if possible) - the lower the aperture number, the more open the lens is, more light it can let in, take lower-light pictures and most importantly, has short depth of field. All the pictures you all ooh and aah over are taken at low apertures with the background out of focus so that the emphasis is on the dog, not the back/forground.

Anyway - happy shopping - Christmas is coming up!

Breeder
Breeder

Well, that's kind of an oxymoron - Sony isn't really known for top-quality lenses. I'd suggest buying a higher-end used Canon or Nikon camera, then a good 70-200 lens with the lowest aperture you can afford (f2.8 if possible) - the lower the aperture number, the more open the lens is, more light it can let in, take lower-light pictures and most importantly, has short depth of field. All the pictures you all ooh and aah over are taken at low apertures with the background out of focus so that the emphasis is on the dog, not the back/forground.

Anyway - happy shopping - Christmas is coming up!

I've had a Canon EOS 20D for many years - if I could afford a new toy - I would get the newer model. The Rebel does not have the heavier body - if you want a better camera - do not buy a plastic body. My EOS was $1500. about 10 years ago

I love my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19. Has a 20x optical zoom, takes wonderful photos, and it about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's my 2nd Panasonic and I am very pleased.

I love my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19. Has a 20x optical zoom, takes wonderful photos, and it about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's my 2nd Panasonic and I am very pleased.

This is quite the dilemma. I have a Canon Rebel EOS T2 sitting in my Amazon cart, but now I am wondering if I should go Nikon. I am quite partial to Canon, as is Consumer Reports. I was going to go the new T4, but for the price I don't need the extras. Then I planned on the T3 but after reading reviews, the T2 may actually be better for what I want - action shots, etc.

by the time I figure out which is better there will be a new one out

Anyone have experience with any of the Rebel T series?

I have a Nikon D7000, and I love it. The Nikon D5100 is more entry level and also great. For the Sony person, that camera has I. Body auto focus so you can buy older great Minolta lenses and they will work and for way way less!

Colleen
I have a Nikon D7000, and I love it. The Nikon D5100 is more entry level and also great. For the Sony person, that camera has I. Body auto focus so you can buy older great Minolta lenses and they will work and for way way less!

Thank you Coleen, they are a lot cheaper indeed. I will probably try a Minolta.