Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sending for training

Never had a dog I aspired to show, only field bred dogs. Now I do. I want to send him for hunting training. My concern is that he will develop calluses on his elbows from being on the cement and in the dog truck/trailer. Any suggestions to give trainers to prevent calluses that they could do easily? Afraid they won't do it if it's too much trouble. Also any trainer recommendations? He is a very talented dog; Master Hunter material IMO. We are in South east Alabama, about 1 hour from Columbus GA.

Re: Sending for training

How far are you willing to send dog away? Do you want to be the one that eventually handles your dog at hunt tests?
I use coconut oil on elbows after my boy returns. They get better eventually. Honestly, you'll be more concerned getting weight back on your dog if they are gone for any extended amount of time. My boy just got back from Master National and it's a fine line we're going to have to walk. Need to put weight on him to start show career but have to keep him in hunt test condition also.

I know of some pros you could look into. Just depends on your goals

Try this trainer. http://www.willowsretrievers.com/

I would love to handle him myself but think we would title faster with a trainer handling. I want the trainer to be able to train me to handle him, so we need someone within reasonable driving distance I think. I do want to handle him in tests eventually. I'm also a little leary of not seeing the kennels and trainer in action personally before placing my dog with them. Not that I plan on weekly visits, but I'd like to visit every so often to check on him and see progress.
Goals are to get his MH and have him back home. Be capable of handling him to MH passes.

I've sent three dogs away. 2 of three were gone for 4 months and 1 was gone for two. Got them through FF, CC, T work, Swim-by. Stuff I can't do as I don't have the back to back days or ponds or land to do it. My trainer has Kuranda beds and there are rubber mats on the truck. Never had a problem with elbows, just filthy dogs! Weight has never been an issue either. My youngest girl goes from the field to the ring. They go back for a month here or there and adjust well, but they love my friend. I usually go down monthly regardless of whether a dog is there or not. He taught me and still teaches me how to run my 3 very different dogs. I have one in master, one that is two for two in senior and one that is just starting senior. They are all show bred.

When I was looking for a trainer I was actively competing in junior. I was able to see various trainers and how they interact with dogs. I called people who knew them. I went to visit the kennel and trained with him. I can tell you right off that there a quite a few that have no clue how to train show dogs. They ARE different. Damage can be done.

If you end up going to NC, email me and I can tell you who NOT to go with. I use Richard Reese www.rwrkennels.com. He is usually booked in advance, he only keeps a small number of dogs and has lots of experience with show dogs.

Good luck!

Sue Puff

Was also going to say send a Kuranda bed with your boy and have the trainer put in a mat in the crate when he travels. That's what I do when I send my dogs out.

I agree with Sue about choosing a trainer who has worked with show breds before. But on that note, if you truly think the dog has Master Hunter potential , you need someone who has a proven track record with show breds at that level.. Also remember, the rules have been changed in regards to distances for marks and blinds in Master tests starting this weekend. 150 yard marks will now become the norm.If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Several of my dogs have been sent to a trainer for extended periods and none came home with callouses on their elbows. I think the important thing is to visit trainers and watch some training sessions. What is their set up? Would you feel comfortable leaving your dog with them? How much experience do they have training dogs like yours? Ask for references.

I never had issues going back and forth between show and field with my dogs, as long as they were in coat. My trainer knew they were show dogs and heavier boned and while their field weight was less than their at home weight, it was not extreme, primarily because they are never kept heavy.

Good Luck!

Kona MH
I agree with Sue about choosing a trainer who has worked with show breds before. But on that note, if you truly think the dog has Master Hunter potential , you need someone who has a proven track record with show breds at that level.

I agree and am a little worried about finding one that trains to the higher levels. This dog has no lack of drive; actually more than a few of my field bred dogs I've had. He is also the best marker we've owned. This boy can be a handful. He is in working condition currently. He is 10 months old and we have started basics. He has two HRC Started passes we put on him.

Sue, thanks for the recommendation. He is booked until August 2013. Don't think we can wait that long.

You may want to check with Ellison Armfield at Armbrook Labradors. She has had several CH/MH. She is in NC but may be able to direct you to someone in the southern region. Unfortunately, all the ones I know are either in Ohio or Texas

She uses Richard too for some of her co owned dogs. I will see her tomorrow at a test. We'll see who we can come up with!

Sue Puff

Running at Wally and Angie's? So bummed I didn't make the trip down there!

Yup! And it 20+ degrees warmer down here too! Water temp is great for the dogs!

Sue Puff

SuePuff
She uses Richard too for some of her co owned dogs. I will see her tomorrow at a test. We'll see who we can come up with!

Sue Puff

That is very nice of you. Thanks!

Good luck Newbie! And don't think for a minute you have to alter weight dramatically to play both games... 10-20+ pounds will not make up for lack of substance/bone and will never help bad angles ;)

breeder
Good luck Newbie! And don't think for a minute you have to alter weight dramatically to play both games... 10-20+ pounds will not make up for lack of substance/bone and will never help bad angles ;)

Absolutely! My MH picked up both majors very quickly in working weight. Most judges prefer to see a fit dog, as long as good structure and strong breed type is present. If not, no amount of weight is going to help. The challenge is keeping the coat in good condition and maintaining a healthy weight (there is such a thing as too thin).

No need to worry about me making my boy too fat. I've never been a fan of fatties. And I do understand fat doesn't hide angles.
I don't want to see all his ribs either though. I've seen several trainers who keep their dogs this way.

You may not realize it but you are a stone's throw away from several excellent trainers in Thomasville Ga. I would check out Jill Volsh first. Morningside Retreivers. I think she is just what you are looking for. Good trainer, used to working with show dogs, the patience of Jobe, very good working with owners and routinely qualifies a whole truckload of dogs for the master national. I have several friends who train and or have had dogs with her and can give you some references.I also have a good friend that trains and lives in Thomasville that would be glad to talk to you as well and know a couple of other trainers in the Southeast that you might want to consider. I am just up the road from you in Al. and a member of the club that hosted the Master National. Debbie Darche DVM Sundance Labradors

Any in canada? About how much to send a dog out?

Donna
Any in canada? About how much to send a dog out?

It depends where you are located. If you are close to the Michigan border, there is an excellent trainer, Tim Doane, Kingseed kennels, in MI. http://www.kingseedkennels.com/training.html He is very thorough and gentle with the dogs he trains. I was blessed to attend a seminar given by him - awesome!

Definitely talk to Sue before you send your dog anywhere. I have two Master Hunters, so was in the game for a while. I have to say that the list of trainers I would NOT use is a heck of a lot longer than the list of trainers that I would use - especially with a show dog. In fact, I did my own training because I wouldn't send a dog out with anyone, mostly due to things I've seen that I wish I hadn't. Having said that, Sue's trainer (Richard Reese) is awesome and I've never seen anything but kindness and patience out of him. One of the very few in that game. Be very careful. When I first read your post my first thought was "she's got a whole lot more to worry about than elbow calluses". I hate to be negative here but there is a lot of stuff that goes on in that venue that shouldn't. One of the reasons I quit was because I no longer wanted to be exposed to some of the training "methods" that so many people use.

Him being trained fairly is one of my biggest concerns. I have not liked what I've seen with many trainers.