Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standard Poodle who "crotch greets"

A friend who just adopted a Standard Poodle has asked how to solve her 2 year old from "crotch greeting" She will do it with anyone who meets her. A way to seek attention to be petted. Some think it is funny but others taken by quite a surprise and shamed. What to do?

My advise was to break any habit to teach sit and treat when approaching anyone. Then reward. Anyone else have a tip? I have also looked for videos online. A visual to show her would help.

Any advise appreciated.

Donna

Re: Standard Poodle who "crotch greets"

An obedience automatic sit until told "free" will help some. Since it's not AKC obedience, dog can learn to sit with handler's stomp of feet and not move until freed. While dog is sitting, newcomer should be told to let dog sniff hand and then pet it.

Of course, dog could still inappropriately greet when freed, but since it's already sniffed new person, it probably won't do so. I'd also teach "leave it" with food on chairs and floor. This command then could be used as soon as dog heads in the wrong direction. As soon as it stops the inappropriate approach, it should be treated.

Re: Standard Poodle who "crotch greets"

I have a 9 year old Lab that gives a Goose greeting to everyone since she could reach a butt in height. She never did it in the show ring thankfully. She knows when the slip lead goes on to listen impeccably. They might want to let a different, heavier duty than for show, slip lead dangle off the Poodle to use for corrections *Quick Jerk,say No firmly,immediately release* when visitors are anticipated.

Hope that helps. I've done it before for other misbehavior and it's helped alot.