Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC

I have a question regarding EIC testing with the U of M. I have always used DDC in the past and have done the cheek swab testing myself.
This may sound like a dumb question...Can I do the cheek swab testing with U of M or do I need to have a vet do it? The reason I ask is because they also ask for VPI.

Re: EIC

Yes, you can do the cheek swab but need to get your own - they won't send them. You can do it without a vet to 'sign off' but then you won't be able to send them to OFA for publishing.

I submitted swabs to UMinn earlier this year without vet sign-off and got results just fine, but I was not submitting to OFA. On the UMinn website it says:

"It is a Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory policy to submit samples through and report results to your veterinarian."

On the PDF form you fill out to send with the samples it says:

"The Veterinary Diagnostic Labratory encourages* the submission of samples through your veterinarian, and the reporting of results through them."

also, "For VPI (verified permanent identification) level registration with OFA, a permanent ID must be verified and signed off by the attending veterinarian on the Submission form."

*Note the use of the word "encourage" as opposed to "policy".

I'm sure this is a naive question, but how does DDC prevent the unscrupulous breeder from doing a cheek swab on a dog that has tested clear and submitting the paperwork under another dog's name? I like the thought that a vet would scan for a chip and confirm that the dog being tested belongs to the chip number submitted.

And that is exactly why I took my stud dog to a Vet for the test. He has all of his clearances and I didn't need some "person" saying that he didn't have this one too. Not that I think the test is necessary,but when people buy semen they have expectations.

I'm not going to pay extra money just to have the vet do it so that it's in theh OFA database and microchip verified. If you don't trust me when I tell you my STUD is OFA clear, I am OK with you picking another stud. The same way that I am pretty picky about the studs I pick. I am not going to go to some unknown person that I don't personally have contact with or friends have contact with.

I know it's niave of me, but there comes a time where we need to start being honest and stop covering our asses because other folks are shady. I do things right and will stand behind my reputation.

I have a great relationship with my vet. He knows that all vaccinations are done on my tailgate rather than bringing puppies or adults into a possibly contaminated waiting room, and if I need a signature for any DNA based testing for any of my dogs, that he will do so at no charge.
I do all of the paperwork a head of time and have it ready so that all he (or the vet tech, which is also allowed by the way) has to do is scan for the micro chip, or in one case where we couldn't find a chip, verify the tattoo number (which I also do) and compare it to the number on the paperwork that I filled out. Then they witness me swabbing the dog and correctly sealing and labeling the swab in the appropriate envelope. This takes just seconds to do so I never get charged, especially when in conjunction with an other type of appointment such as vaccinations, or picking up wormer, ear meds, etc....
The whole point is having that relationship with your vet. It also helps that my vet works with large animals (specializes is equine breeding) and has a lot of "horse sense" in regards to prices and billing, as well as keeping their clients happy!!!
What also works for us as a team, is that I keep him abreast of the latest testing "requirements", as I was the first client of his to do the following testing:
EIC, CNM, PRA, RD/OSD, OFA's on elbows, shoulders, and patellas. Their clinic had done OFA's on a few hips and they have "checked" patellas on some small breeds, but almost all were done only to diagnosis a potential problem, not to get breeding clearances done. And this is in an area that I know has at least two other labrador breeders, both on a medium scale breeding operation (more than 5 but under 10 breeding females), and these are conformation breeders/contestants.
Because I brought these tests to his attention, he has mentioned them to other clients that have expressed questions regarding breeding their dogs in the future, instead of just the old standby of "check the hips, and you should have the eyes looked at too".
Also because of this, he has recommended my litters to those looking for a lab, over other breeders by far.

With DDC it was basically the honor system; however, due to a patent, they are no longer able to offer the EIC test anyway. Ingen processes their tests outside of the country and are not bound by the patent laws (I guess) so they still run the test.

I just ask my vet to order the samples for me from U of M. She knows I'm honest, I swab. She submits.

I did 1 EIC through DDC at Potomac. There was a breeder judge that helped me with the DDC paperwork who also scanned my girl for her microchip number. I would think that was good enough for back then. Any subsequent EIC testing I do is going through Univ of Minn. and through my vet. It's a once in a lifetime testing unlike yearly CERF or ACVO testing.