Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hepatocutaneoup Syndrone

Has anyone had a lab with this problem. Have a family wanting to purchase a puppy but their 12 1/2yr old lab has this, should they wait ?? any problem to the puppy, thanks for any help

Re: Hepatocutaneoup Syndrone

information please
Has anyone had a lab with this problem. Have a family wanting to purchase a puppy but their 12 1/2yr old lab has this, should they wait ?? any problem to the puppy, thanks for any help

Hepatocutaneous syndrome is rare, chronic, progressive, and usually fatal. Although usually associated with a hepatopathy, this syndrome can also be seen in animals with pancreatic or neuroendocrine tumors. Diabetes mellitus is a common concurrent disease. Bilaterally symmetric crusting and ulcerative lesions on the footpads, mucocutaneous junctions, ears, periorbital region, and pressure points are typical dermatologic changes. Anorexia, weight loss, and lethargy are also reported. Marked increase in AP, moderate increases in ALT and AST, hyperglycemia, decreased plasma amino acids, hypoalbuminemia, increased bile acids, and normocytic, normochormic anemia are usually reported. Hyperglucagonemia is not a consistent finding, as it is in people with a similar condition. Liver size varies radiographically. Multiple hypoechoic nodules surrounded by hyperechoic strands are seen diffusely scattered throughout the liver on ultrasonography, and this “starry sky” pattern is thought to be pathognomonic. Possible reasons for skin lesions associated with liver disease include hypoaminoacidemia resulting in a reduction in epidermal cell turnover or abnormal zinc metabolism. Histopathologic changes include vacuolization of hepatocytes, liver parenchymal collapse, and nodular regeneration. Recommended treatments include appropriate antifungal and antibiotic therapy for skin infections, zinc and vitamin supplementation, high-protein diets (eg, egg yolks or amino acid supplements), control of diabetes mellitus with insulin therapy, and topical cleansing of skin lesions. Treatment has little effect on the course of the disease. Corticosteroids are contraindicated. Prognosis is guarded to poor.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23632.htm

information please

I haven't heard of this before today but if you do as I did and google it you can find out a lot in a little time. It's not good - caused by severely dysfunctional liver or pancreatic tumor. Prognosis is less than a year - about 5 months after lesions present themselves. It's painful. To me, I would not bring a puppy into this situation. It would not seem to be the fairest thing to do to the older dog. The puppy won't have a problem, except for wanting to play or be near the dog who is just trying to live out his remaining time in peace.

This is a tough call - I'm glad I'm not the one having to make it. Good luck to both you and this family with whatever you decide.

I know it is a tough call, I mentioned to them let their dog enjoy what life has for it for now and the dog will let you know when it is time to help them to the rainbow bridge. They never have lost a dog before so it is very hard. I did google it just thought if anyone ever had gone thru this with their dog, maybe there were some other suggestions. Thanks for everyones help with this. My prayers are with the family and their dog.