Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lupoid onychodystrophy

Have a family whose 4 year old dog has brittle nails and was diagnosed with Lupoid Onychodystrophy. I don't know much about it, but they are treat with omega 3 and vitamin E. They think its working, but vet said it can take a while. They are keeping nails short, but she has to wear an e-collar so she doesn't lick at them. She had to have one nail removed. Wondering if anyone has run into this, and if so, what treatment was used, etc. Thanks.

Re: lupoid onychodystrophy

been there done that

omega 3's help if it is really bad
http://www.melbvet.com.au/files/VRSYAR8P7O/Lupoid_onychodystrophy_nail_shedding_.pdf

Would this present in the eyeball?

Try putting the the dog on Knox Gelatine. It works.

Knox Gelatin? I would have never thought? How do you give it to them? do you sprinkle it in their food, and if so, how much. How long does it take to help? She had to have a nail removed the other day, and so far two nails have been affected. Thanks for any help.

Give her 1 tsp a day in her food. It's tastless. I'd give her at least a month.
My dad was a physician, who had very brittle nails. He used to sprinkle it on lettuce, and that's where I got the idea.
I groomed for 40+ plus years and saw it occasionally. A daschhund owner didn't belive me and took her dog to Cornell. She told them what I suggested and they said it was a great idea.
What have you got to loose? It's harmless.
What food are you feeding? It could be a deficiency.

My 13 yr old has it. We gave him a tea spoon of omega 3's &6's twice a day during his original episode. He was diagnosed at 2 yrs old. All his nails husked off and he didn't grow any nails until about a yrs ago.