Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bloomsburg Kennel Cough

We were at the Bloomsburg shows this weekend - heard a couple of dogs coughing from their crates - my girl started the cough last night - anyone else heard of it going through that show?

Re: Bloomsburg Kennel Cough

Got mild kc at the National a month ago - went through all the dogs, but only minor coughing for a day or two each one, then it would go to the next and has been over for at least a week.

Thanks - did you put your dogs on antibiotics or did you just let it run its course?

I didn't do anything as it was only a minor issue, thankfully. I will use antibiotics if need be, but this particular strain seemed to be very mild. All my dogs had been vaccinated for kc, so don't know if that minimized it, or it just wasn't covered by the vaccine.

Hope whatever you got there is the same thing that's going around and it's no big deal!

I was at Bloomsburg. No K/C here--yet

If you think you have it in the house, put the dogs on Vitamin C (buffered, 500 mg each meal) and echinacea and BOOST their immune system before you need to go to the vet for antibiotics. Those are ONLY for secondary bacterial infections, NOT the viral KC. If they cough, you can dose with robistussin or mucinex. Monitor the temps and if they get a fever, then take them in.