Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
antifreeze alert

It was with great sadness, not believing that this happened, how could this have happened, that my son and his wife put down their beloved black boy, Luke. This wonderful family and their 'boy' live in Alaska. As best as we could figure out, a few weeks ago, the house next door was winterized by putting GLYCOL (antifreeze) into the "P" traps in the house. For a couple of weeks, when Luke was in not in the house, or out on a walk with his family, Luke had been eating leaves, grasses in his yard along the fence that adjoins the house next door.

Not knowing what was taking place and some days being typical 'Luke' days, Luke had been slowly deteriorating to the point that his kidneys shut down and his body was filling with toxins. This is what antifreeze does to its unwitting victims. The kind vet came to the house to put Luke down. Luke was surrounded by his family and grandfamily.

My son bought a black light flashlight and found this neon substance in Luke's vomit and along the fence line where apparently the plumber dumped the excess. So preventable and such a tragic loss.

PLEASE, PLEASE be on the alert to this substance. Some states require that this product be altered with a bittering agent which makes its otherwise sweet flavor unappetizing.

So long our beloved and beautiful boy, Luke. We'll make your voice heard.

Re: antifreeze alert

Such a senseless loss...My heart goes out to the family.

I am sorry for the tragic event & loss your son, his wife and their dog experienced.

Also, thank you for informing many by posting on here about the terrible, avoidable loss had the neighbor not done or had told your children what they had done. They could have then kept the dog away or had the neighbor do a full clean up of this toxic substance.

I'm going to pass this on to all of my past pup families, I hope you don't mind. If I send a group email which saves possibly 1 dog it will be well worth it.

Once again, thank you for posting & my condolences on this terrible loss.

So sorry for your loss.

WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems) is a North American system which prescribes such materials be handled, labelled and disposed of in a safe manner. A plumber to throw his excess antifreeze along a fence line is clearly negligent, which caused this poor dog's pain and death, and this family's grief.

If it were a child, I can only imagine the consequences.

My condolences to all who loved Luke.

Linda@Staghorn.