Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corneal Dystrophy/Lipid Deposits

Just curious as to what others who have had the above diagnosis in their dogs' CERF fed their dogs prior to finding the CD. And if you changed food, what did you change to, and did it make a difference? Were you using any supplements?

I've seen it occur in dogs fed Orijen, and it's lessened but not quite disappeared now that his dog is on PPP. Dog has always been on a joint supplement - glucosamine.

If you aren't comfortable posting here, you can email me the info.

Re: Corneal Dystrophy/Lipid Deposits

I do not show my Labs but I was feeding TOTW Pacific Stream Dry. My one Lab was diagnosed with the lipid issue at his annual exam. I took my entire gang off the food. I will see if he still has the issue at his next annual checkup. My vet is older and very experienced. He showed me the spots.

My ophthalmologist says it's not food related, I have it in one of my lines, showed up around 4 years old. Never negatively affected the dogs, just don't double up on it. For what it's worth the generations that had it were on ProPlan.

While I know it's not totally food related, I thought it was interesting that once I switched from California Natural and was adding fish oil to Orijen 6 fish/Adult the spots decreased dramatically,within a few months.
I have doubled up on it(dogs were much older after they were diagnosed and had been bred when younger) and have not had any others with it FWIW.

One of my dogs had it, and at the time she was eating EVO. The ophthalmologist told me to take her off of chicken based food and put her on a fish based food (one with lower fat). The doctor thought the high fat content of the EVO might have been an issue. I switched her to Holistic Select Anchovy and Sardine formula and the deposits went away within a few months. Interestingly, this particular dog has had trouble with a chronic pancreatitis type syndrome and also recently was diagnosed with high blood cholesterol and triglycerides. I'm thinking she just doesn't handle fats well. Anyway, she's currently on a low fat Senior type food and is doing well. She's never had a recurrence of the lipid deposits.

Just be aware that corneal dystrophy may occur secondary to some forms of metabolic disorders and may be only one of the manifestations of that particular disorder.

Black Dog
If you aren't comfortable posting here, you can email me the info.

My aplogies; my old email account is locked up and I can't access it! Please use my new addy - olddogs3 @ hotmail.ca if you wish to reply privately. If you've sent me an email, please resend to the new addy.

Thanks for all the experiences so far. JP, what sort of disease process are you aware of associated with CD?

From my notes, in breeds where corneal dystrophy is considered a primary condition, the incidence is generally much higher than in Labradors.

In Labs, glycogen storage or lysosomal diseases are known to produce accumulation of certain proteins outside the cells, interfering with cell metabolism. These can be detected in many tissues of the body. When they occur in the eye, CD can be one of the results. Chances are that, if they occur elsewhere, they will not be detected unless they compromise the function of the relevant organ.

Most corneal dystrophies are probably benign but, before ruling out any element of heredity on the basis of the absence of relatives exhibiting the problem, it could be interesting to look for alternative manifestations of an underlying primary disorder. Just throwing that out there - probably not really an option!

agreed with poster who says opthamologist said not food related. My girl got it about 6 years old. And has been on Proplan Lamb & Rice, Exceed. and puppy food, over the years. And is supplamented with fish oil and Dasuquin. Because they don't have 20/20 vision like we do, she said it doesn't seem to impare their vision. Just to keep an eye on the eyes, to make sure calcium deposits don't start flaking.