Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Reasonable Vet in San Francisco (Pleasant Hill) Area

A friend of mine has a vet who is going to charge her $500 for a dentistry for an 8 year old 14 lb dog. And as we talked it sounds like they have been really ripping her off. Charging $20 for a "fecal kit" which was a glove and a container. The fecal test was extra. And they require not only a heartworm test to refill HeartGuard, but also require a fecal! Charged $300 to wash out the ears under anesthesia. Sounds like they intimidated her into it at a routine checkup. Etc. This is a retired show dog I used to own. A very cooperative and easy going dog. So if anyone knows a reasonable vet both in price and practice can you post here? She will travel pretty far to get a good vet.

Re: Need Reasonable Vet in San Francisco (Pleasant Hill) Area

Try The Bishop Ranch Vet Hospital in San Ramon.
Excellent vets, though other than the repro vet I have no experience wih their charges.

To Friend:

I'm all for finding a vet who does not overcharge, and it's good that you are helping the folks find one.

Having said that, several years ago, I had 2 retired show minpins that both needed dental work, one had 13 teeth removed, the other 14. One weighed 8 lbs and one weighed 14 lbs. My vet "capped" the bill at 2,000 for me. I just wanted to offer this as an example of what fees for such work can be elsewhere.

Good luck.

Take a look at VCA Holly Street Animal Hospital in San Carlos, CA.

Here is their website: http://www.vcahospitals.com/holly-street

My friend is one of the vets here and shes fantastic and the clinic itself is very personable and friendly.

Good luck in your search