Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Retinal Dysplasia

A friend's dog went in for it's first CERF and found out that this is what the dog has. Geographical? She was going to be used for breeding, but obviously not. Honestly, haven't heard too much about it. Retinal Folds, but is this what retinal folds turn into.

Is this something commonly tested for? I haven't done my bitches, and the studs I have used haven't either. Granted I've never had it show up in an exam either.

Re: Retinal Dysplasia

From the CERF web site - http://www.vmdb.org/dx.html

Get another opinion before removing the bitch from a breeding program.

If the bitch is a Labrador or a Samoyed, she should be genetically tested at Optigen for the horrible kind that is linked with skeletal defects. If this is what she has, she should only be bred to a clear for OSD/RD. I would also have her eyes checked again by another eye doctor that you trust if possible, especially if she is genetically clear for the skeletal form of retinal dysplasia.

One does not need to produce dwarf Labradors with crooked, Bassett-Houndy front legs and a high rear with straight legs that might need knee surgery as well as being dysplastic. We have had them in rescue. Some of them also go blind. With the genetic test, the bitch may be bred very carefully. Do note that most of us use "Optigen clear" to mean clear for one form of PRA, not OSD/RD. Last I looked, by using a 20/20 clinic and paying online, or going online in the Optigen bargain days, one could buy Optigen's PRA and RD test for under $210.

One question: how old is this bitch?

This is why all reputable breeders check their litters at 7 weeks with a CERF exam. There is no reason why every puppy should not have a 7 week Cerf exam , it's basic health care.

breeder30
This is why all reputable breeders check their litters at 7 weeks with a CERF exam. There is no reason why every puppy should not have a 7 week Cerf exam , it's basic health care.
Absolutely no help. But I know your type and I don't really like your type.

The friend is new in breeding and I am trying to help guide her in the right direction of what tests to do and why to do them. The owner of the stud she used was no help, and just pocketed the stud fee, and let their dog be bred to basic clearances. She bred this puppy before I met her. It was a singleton and mom was never bred again.

I will recommend that she consider doing the Optigen testing and do PRA and the RD/OSD test if she wants to pursue. She was going to get a 2nd opinion the next time we had a CERF clinic around and it was a different vet. Bitch is nearly 2 years old. I wouldn't breed her if she were mine, because I think the dog has temperament issues and too light of eye (for a choc) but as we see very often, folks will fall over backward to do every clearance and brag, but breed bad tempered dogs.

So just to clarify, even though the vet who did the CERF test said the dog wouldn't pass and this is hereditary, you can verify carrier status with the Optigen test and still possibly breed as long as you don't produce more Affecteds? The thing is I don't often see the Optigen RD test listed in folks' list of clearances.

I'm not sure where you all are located but I would recommend that instead of waiting for the next clinic that your friend drive to the nearest vet school for a 2nd opinion. They are reasonable and will followup with all the information that your friend needs at this time to care for her bitch.

University of Florida charges $49 for the exam performed by a member of the teaching faculty.

I have a female that is an rd/osd carrier. Found out when doing her first CERF at 26 months. Some carriers have retinal folds, and some do not. Which means CERF will not always detect carriers. So if a carrier is bred (only breed to a clear), some puppies are likely to have folds as well. Folds can be caused by things other than rd/osd. Folds can affect marking ability.

A retinal fold is different from a geographical fold. If it is a retinal fold, then you should complete the RD/OSD test. If the bitch comes back clear, send a request to CERF...they'll give you a breeders option.

If it is a geographical fold CERF will fail the bitch. Dr. Lionel F. Rubin has done extensive research in regards to retinal and geographical folds. I spoke with him personally in regards to geographical folds. He feels that a unilateral geographical fold in the Labrador Retriever is not a problem and he would clear a bitch for breeding. Bi-laterally he would not approve. He says he doesn't see a big problem with geographical folds within the Labrador Retriever breed.

I would contact him before making any decisions. Good luck!

Dr. Lionel F. Rubin
1116 St. Andrews Rd.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
610-520-9430