Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worming A Pregnant Bitch

I was shocked to find my bitch who is 30 days along in her pregnancy is has tape worm. I found the segments in her poop. Shes had her shots, worming all that good stuff which is why I am surprised to find this.

Can anyone tell me if there is a safe wormer to treat this? I am terrified of hurting the babies. Or should I wait until the pups are born and then worm her?

I appreciate your help.

Re: Worming A Pregnant Bitch

Phone your vet first, but with my last whelp, when several of the other dogs had visible worms after I gave Panacur, I suspected the pregnant bitch had them also. My vet had me give Panacur to the mom in whelp also.

I'm not sure how far along my bitch was. I think, if I remember correctly timing makes a difference. Back in my memory is something about pups eyes can be affected if given at the wrong time. I do remember the vet office asking specifically when she was bred and when due.

Re: Worming A Pregnant Bitch

Well - we always use Lopatol (nitroscantate)in pregnant bitches as it covers all the bases. Mind you our recommendation is to deworm them just before breeding, just before whelping and at 4 weeks post. So I'll give you the basics and you can decide what to do with your 30 day post-breeding bitch.

Another option would be Cestex (epsiprantel)to cover just the tapeworms.

Panacur (fenbendazole) is also a common one - they even have dosing charts for pregnant bitches. Downside only treats one type of tapeworm (Taenia) so you would need to know which your dog has.

Droncit (praziquantel) is also tested safe for use in pregnant dogs. All say they are tested on pregnant bitches, but you should contact the companies and confirm after what day etc.

The two common types of tapeworm that dogs get is Taenia (from rabbits and rodents) and Dipyldium (from flea infestations). Knowing which type your pet has can help make the decision for what to treat with.