Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standard to think about

I think some need to keep temperament at the top of that standard also. No excuse for it. Also, when checking on stud dog do we ask this question, temperament, full detention, eye color. As much as we pay for a stud dog, think we should ask. Most clearance are right there but if you are not seeing these dogs at shows ask someone in the area that does. Movement, good toplines, etc are seen at shows, not in a nice picture. Might help. Some of these traits take generations to breed out. Temperment would not even be a choice.

Re: Standard to think about

Temperament is HUGE. There are a few stories I am hearing around these days of some dogs that folks are breeding alot and temperament is less that desirable. Growling at shows, growling at people in homes. I would not STAND for that even with the most beautiful dog. It's a shame folks can't take off their rose colored glasses. I know the PERFECT dog is hard to find, but there are some things I can't deal with, and I think if Temperament is supposed to be the HALLMARK of the breed, I don't think ANY of us should compromise on that one.

I have a very nice typey bitch here - Ch, working titles (hunting and obedience), hips/elbows/CERF/ optigen/ heart/ eic all cleared and I spayed her because I didn't love her temperament. She would growl at some dogs and not others, and I just think that there are lots of other nice Labradors out there.

Not to mention that I'm not up for spending generations trying to breed out weird temperaments.

I agree regarding the temperament. Seeing lots of crabby dogs at shows ... my boys all run together all the time even when girls are in season and no issues ... I have a veteran dog here that is lovely with Specialty and AB wins at large shows but he has had moments where he is growling at strange dogs we meet on the street .. he has never been bred nor will he be. He was my first dog and once that behaviour was exhibited, I started over with a new pup.

I have no tolerance for poor temperament,meaning aggression towards other dogs or people.

There are certain old lines or dogs known for that part of poor temperament.

As I see some talking about breeding to frozen semen from dogs they never saw or met, that didn't have the clearances done today, that not many knew the true temperament of these dogs, it would scare me to use some of these long time lines or kennels.

That's just some thoughts of mine breeding to these dogs from the past.