Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Standard" peeves...

Feel free to add your peeves.

Mine is the judge that rewards bright yellow headlights on chocolate dogs. Makes me cringe every time. I hate sounding like sour grapes at shows, but when too thin, yellow eyed dog wins over a nice nice competitor, it just makes me shake my head and wonder what we are doing.

Re: "Standard" peeves...

It is not what we are doing it is poor judging. While the blame is on the breeder who brings that out to the shows. Another thing is all the straight fronts that I see out there getting rewarded. Labradors are not terriers.

"The shoulders are well laid-back, long and sloping, forming an angle with the upper arm of approximately 90 degrees that permits the dog to move his forelegs in an easy manner with strong forward reach. Ideally, the length of the shoulder blade should equal the length of the upper arm. Straight shoulder blades, short upper arms or heavily muscled or loaded shoulders, all restricting free movement, are incorrect."

I agree with you both. Too many light color eyes in chocolates and straight fronts. Tails are a bit happy also.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned straight rears, particularly on some chocolates. No turn of stifle and they win anyway.

Not chocolates only, yellows.

I hate seeing a head that has too short and broad a muzzle with too much stop.
Also hate the fluffy coats; saw one handler recently raking their lab's coat backwards to fluff it.

Sounds like it is time to apply for your judge's license.

Don't be a smart ass. There are plenty of judges who know the standard and you can bet I show to them when I can find them.

While I prefer a darker eye on a chocolate, if one has to choose between a light eye or a straight front, I will take the light eye hands down as the poor front impacts function. The biggest issue for me in chocolates is the poor turn of stifle in many and stuffy necks. In the attempt to keep a square outline, we are losing proper, functional structure.

How about the judges who put up a dog who is LIMPING!!! Was recently at a show where one was put up for points over a BEAUTIFUL moving dog.... Worst part is I overheard one of the judges saying movement is a key factor in all breeds then they go and put up a limping dog??? Just FRIES me!!!

How about actually being in the ring as the judge watches a handler do his best to disguise his dog's limp, and she comments as he does the down and back that he's not fooling her, but then she gives him the class anyway!!!!

Friend
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned straight rears, particularly on some chocolates. No turn of stifle and they win anyway.
My standard peeve is upper arm, be it straight or short or both. It seems acceptable today with too many judges unlike back in the day.

LOL, just as bad as the professional handler that pulls the dog out of the crate last minute, pulls it into the ring, doesn't notice it peeing/pooping....everyone's got to wait until they clean it up...and then the judge puts up the dog as BOB because the judge is known for picking professional handlers. Seems like they shouldn't be rewarded for being so careless with the dog.

You can breed to the turn of stifle. But those eyes will take longer to get out of your lines. When you introduce some traits it takes generations. Eyes, mismarks, small heads, bad tails(gay), just saying, think before you leap. Are you picking a dog that is popular or the best for your bitch. Enough just pops up without adding things we know are there.

If it were that easy to breed a correct turn of stifle I would think we would be seeing fewer chocolate dogs with incorrect stifles and we are not. It is often combined with a fairly stuffy front. There are several Bc dogs that have this issue as well. I have a chocolate out of two lovely brown eyed chocolate parents who has lighter eyes (they are ok but not great). He also has a beautiful front and a rear to match, with correct turn of stifle. Given what is behind him, I would not breed to incorrect structure (all my dogs work) to keep a trait that is largely cosmetic. I really don't like light eyes but cannot live with poor structure.

How about 'too much' front? I have seen some dogs who look like they are going to tip forward there is so much chest.

Too Much
How about 'too much' front? I have seen some dogs who look like they are going to tip forward there is so much chest.
I would call that a prodigious front and complete lack of balance. It's another peeve of mine, I see many unbalanced dogs put up, the judge acting as it they didn't notice too much on one end or the other.

Many times those large fronts are plain fat! It's difficult to if at all able to find the prosternum beneath the extra fat tissue. The same goes for no front but a great or overdone rear. All Labs should be balanced, to some degree at the very least. JMO.