Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bladder infections

Does anyone know if the human at-home test strips for bladder infections can be used to test a dog's urine?

Re: Bladder infections

You can test pH and get an idea if the dog has an issue brewing. PH > neutral usually spells trouble ime. I can also test for the specific gravity here (thanks to my real work) and that tells you if their kidneys are able to concentrate the urine. I once missed a UTI and it took 3 mos for the kidneys to recover that function.

The best thing to do would be to drop off a urine specimen to your vet tomorrow. Get the first urine of the morning and drop it off as soon as the Vet opens. They'll do a dip stick, specific gravity to check urine consentration and also a spin down to check for blood cells and other types of cells, bacteria, and crystals. I would not give your dog anything that may change the urinary ph until the urine is tested as you would not want to mask anything that may hinder diagnostics....JMO good luck with your dog!

I get PH strips at amazon 5-10 PH range. But it would be wise to have the vet test urine first to know what you are dealing with.

Crancaps can help get rid of mild UTI (even struvite crystals) but if a severe infection you may need meds.