Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tapeworm!

Well, for the first time ever, I found tapeworm segments in one of my dogs'stool, a 7 month old's puppy. I called my vet and he was out of the large dog dose. He recommended that I treat all my dogs. I went to pick up D-worm from my local pet store and they only had 1 dose. Apparently, someone else had come in and bought them out. I finally found what I needed at Tractor Supply.. . their last box!

I guess the warm weather is catching up with us. According to the woman at the pet shop, last winter did not do enough to freeze out fleas and those animals that carry tapeworms. We were overrun with rabbits this year.

I regularly use flea preventative and these guys were Safeguarded 3 weeks ago. Safeguard only treats one kind of tapeworm. So I guess the puppy got his variety from eating just one more disgusting thing in the yard:)
Just a heads up.

Re: Tapeworm!

I had fleas this year for the first time in over 35 years. Haven't seen tapeworms, but I wormed for them anyway.

We are overrun with wascally wabbits...I have treated all of my dogs at least 3 times for tapeworms. They eat the scat, they don't have fleas, all have flea prevention because of the wabbits.

I don't care what anyone says, the eggs are in the rabbit scatt and they munch on the gross nuggets like peanuts

I started adding Nutramin, 1/2 tsp 2x/day to their food. It raises the Ph in the stomach and supposedly kills the eggs. So far this is working better than the food grade diatomaceous earth - I put 1 TBLSP 2x/day of that and they still ended up with the segments. I now have my 4 month pup on 1/4 tsp 2x/day on it. I'll put a link up in a separate post to this one, have to find it.

I have not had a recurrence of segments in about 6 months now - watch, I mentioned this and now I will see them - ugh.

Here is some info on Nutramin http://www.healthypetnetwork.org/nutramin.htm

You can also Google the word Nutramin to get to the California Earth Minerals site.

It works for me...I started using it because it was recommended as part of a protocol for a bitch who has a resorption problem. After speaking with one of the Vets who consults with the company, he mentioned that it was better thatn DE for controlling tapeworms. That's how I got to using it on a daily basis. I use less than the recommended dose on the packaging.

I am not in any way hawking this product, I just found it to be, for my dogs, a way to control tapeworms.

I did treat them first with meds prescribed by my Vet, and use this product to just keep the nasties away.