Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Banana tails

My young female has ended uo with a banana tail. While I am primarily performance oriented, I still want my dog's to potentially earn conformation titles. (up to this point I know they could, but since I handle my own dogs, and have no interest in a handler, it is a non issue).

ANYWAY, my 1 year old female has a banana tail. She will indeed go far in obedience and hunt. My question is, how hard is it to breed away from a banana tail? There have been no tails like this for several generations, so the tail set/carriage is not familiar (female wise) to me. To me, it is as ugly as the "keg on legs" and "greyhound" field dogs. Pesonality/trainablity-wise she is perfect.

Re: Banana tails

Speaking from experience, I don't think it's an easy fix. YOu'll have to consciously breed to pedigrees with good tailsets while maintaining all the other attributes that you value.

Regarding your second comment, you can show your own dog to their breed championship. It's not just professional handlers that are doing all the winning.

Two things to consider: a banana tail is not the same as a correct tail set. You can have a good tail set with a banana tail. Some dogs with banana tails have had tendons cut to prevent them from being able to curve the tail, thus giving the appearance of a proper tail. Therefore, breeding to a dog with a surgically altered tail will not prevent the genetic influence of the banana tail from being passed along.

I agree...incorrect tails are a pet peeve of mine as well. That said, you need to look at the entire dog. it sounds like other than the tail, she is everything you are striving for. In that case, find a dog that compliments her and has a correct tail. Maybe have a conversation with your mentor on what dogs/pedigrees you should be including in your search when it comes time to breed her.

As to your other comment...I am not sure what it had to do with this post. Many of us show our own dogs and finish them. I have finished multiple champions by myself. But I am also realistic about the dog I am showing. To often I hear grumbly people complaining about handlers "winning it all" but when you look at their exhibit or how the dog was presented, you can clearly see why the dog did not win. Choose the judges that are going to appreciate your dog and enjoy.

There is no basis for your comment.
If your dog is worthy and you learn how to handle, you will win.
I have been beating pro handlers for years with my own dogs so "its a non issue" for me ;)

Going bananas
My young female has ended uo with a banana tail. While I am primarily performance oriented, I still want my dog's to potentially earn conformation titles. (up to this point I know they could, but since I handle my own dogs, and have no interest in a handler, it is a non issue).

ANYWAY, my 1 year old female has a banana tail. She will indeed go far in obedience and hunt. My question is, how hard is it to breed away from a banana tail? There have been no tails like this for several generations, so the tail set/carriage is not familiar (female wise) to me. To me, it is as ugly as the "keg on legs" and "greyhound" field dogs. Pesonality/trainablity-wise she is perfect.

To answer your original question, it can be easy to correct. My bitch had a banana tail (not severe, mind you, but a definite curve on a good tail set). I did a line breeding to Travis and got a perfect tail. And that daughter's daughter has a perfect tail too. Good luck!

Going bananas

I love watching my slight banana tail mom with her 1 year old daughter out in the play yard. Daughter has a perfect otter tail and many other things mom does not have. I am amazed what we've gotten rid of in one generation. Of course some of the issues will crop up in the next generation, so we'll be careful what to keep.

Also, mom's banana tail is not nearly as prominent or curved as it was when she was younger.

Grandmother has straight tail but carried gayly. Daughter's tail comes straight off the back but developed a banana tail (found out later on came from a dog on her sire's side) Grandson's tail comes straight off the back and no curve, yay. Tails can drive you nuts!

I think the OP was asking about correcting a curved tail ("banana tail"), not a tailset. I agree with you, tailsets are a little more difficult, though not impossible, to correct than banana tails.

Speaking from experience, I don't think it's an easy fix. YOu'll have to consciously breed to pedigrees with good tailsets while maintaining all the other attributes that you value.

Regarding your second comment, you can show your own dog to their breed championship. It's not just professional handlers that are doing all the winning.

Yes, it is correcting the banns tail I am intested in. Thanks for the replies!

Tail man
Some dogs with banana tails have had tendons cut to prevent them from being able to curve the tail, thus giving the appearance of a proper tail.

However, if you are observant, you can spot these from a mile away.

I believe the OP was talking mostly about her dog's tail and being able to finish the dog themselves with this fault. We all know we can finish a good dog ourselves, but sometimes the dogs with an obvious fault such as a banana tail, might need a "pro" to help it finish.