General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ingen is closing its operations!
Re: Ingen is closing its operations!

Good riddance!

What a shame. Ingen was providing service at a reasonable price. They were able to make a profit while charging less than half of what Optigen charges. That should tell you something. But Optigen won this battle and that is that.

Yeah -- great service on inaccurate results. After observing a false negative from Ingen, I would never trust their results, which made their less-expensive prices a total waste of money.

Now the issue of a University lab soliciting samples to do their research at owners' expense, and then patenting the process and gouging those same owners for future tests, is an entirely different conversation.......

Now the issue of a University lab soliciting samples to do their research at owners' expense, and then patenting the process and gouging those same owners for future tests, is an entirely different conversation.......[/quote

You are talking about Optigen's original ABC test, right? I paid a lot of money for incorrect results. So I did send blood and $$$'s to pay for the Optigen research that finally came up with a valid test.

What are you smoking?
Yeah -- great service on inaccurate results. After observing a false negative from Ingen, I would never trust their results, which made their less-expensive prices a total waste of money.

Now the issue of a University lab soliciting samples to do their research at owners' expense, and then patenting the process and gouging those same owners for future tests, is an entirely different conversation.......

Great service on inaccurate results? I wouldn't even say that. Horrendous wait times, unanswered inquiries.......

Poor customer service will close the doors every time. Word of mouth can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

back when they were Pawsitive ID thing were awesome, oh well....

Sad..........testing at a reasonable price gone.

If you can't trust the results, why test at all?

Optigen retested results at no charge once they identified the gene. They had all the expense of doing research and Ingen just copied (poorly) the test. Optigen is just trying to recoup the expense for their R&D. People who used Ingen just wanted to say they tested - they didn't care if their results might be flawed. I had a stud dog owner tell me the stud dog was "Optigen tested" clear so I bred my carrier bitch to him. When I asked for copies of the tests after the breeding, I realized it was Ingen, not Optigen. I still worry about the puppies produced. My mistake for taking someone's word.

Good riddance to Ingen.

Meanwhile, Labrador breeders pay a lot more for a genetic eye clearance than those who test for PRA in different breeds, such as in Irish Setters. Why does Optigen charge so much and others can get a legal, mainland US PRA clearance in a much rarer breed for under $60? Ditto with PLL in Sealyhams and other terriers. That is less than half of the cost for Optigen genetic eye clearance. I have no illusions about Optigen. No wonder folks want to have clear only lines, in spite of the temporary loss of genetic diversity overall--they don't want to have to do the test, a necessary evil when we are gouged pricewise.

My 2cents
People who used Ingen just wanted to say they tested - they didn't care if their results might be flawed. I had a stud dog owner tell me the stud dog was "Optigen tested" clear so I bred my carrier bitch to him.

That's a very broad, insensitive and unfounded statement. Just because we opted for a less expensive invoice at the end of the day, doesn't mean in any way that we didn't care. Perhaps from your experience of one breeder you got that impression, but I can assure you that the rest of us who used Ingen cared very much what the results of these tests were and depended on the good service they provided along with the decent price.

Recently, I cheaped out and INGEN tested a couple of puppies to look for PRA. To my delight, after many weeks and countless excuses about equipment repairs, they came back PRA Clear. . . but, at the same time, I EIC tested them, knowing my bitch is affected. So, I knew, they would all be carriers. Lo and behold, they came back clear! I notified Ingen that this was impossible and that I would like a retest. Weeks went by and they ignored a emails and phone calls. Finally, I emailed again to express my horror at their immorality of posting results that could have an impact on the health of dogs. They went out of business.

It is too bad that Optigen, right now, has a monopoly on a simple genetic test. But, they did do the research and should reap the financial rewards. Wonder when the test will go off patent and I wonder if their results are always reliable.

I would not trust your test results for PRA either. Unfortunately, those results probably aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

My 2cents
People who used Ingen just wanted to say they tested - they didn't care if their results might be flawed. I had a stud dog owner tell me the stud dog was "Optigen tested" clear so I bred my carrier bitch to him.

That's a very broad, insensitive and unfounded statement. Just because we opted for a less expensive invoice at the end of the day, doesn't mean in any way that we didn't care. Perhaps from your experience of one breeder you got that impression, but I can assure you that the rest of us who used Ingen cared very much what the results of these tests were and depended on the good service they provided along with the decent price.

It's not "unfounded". I know several people who got incorrect results from Ingen.

Talk about beating a dead horse.