Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salty paws

What do you do for the salt on the sidewalks in the Winter and your dogs get sore paws. Aside from washing they paws each time they come in form outside?
I do know they have rubber paw socks but looking for that third solution. TIA

Re: Salty paws

We don't have snow in the winter but I do have a dog that has tender pads. We train for hunt tests and the terrain can be rough. I've used Musher's Secret and Tuf-Foot on my boy's pads. Musher's Secret comes in a tub and your rub the cream on the pads and between the digits every nite for 2 weeks. Then regularly 2 x's a week. I did this @ nite before crating him for bed. Tuf-Foot is a liquid and a bit tricky to apply. I use a 1" sponge paint brush, put some in a small plastic container and applied as I did the Musher's Secret. Both work equally well. Gun Dog Supply had the best prices on both products.

I hope this helps.

I use a pet-safe ice melter, there are many brands available and I've never had any problems. They look like little styro-foam beads and are different than old fashioned rock salt. These ice melters won't hurt plants growing nearby either.

or.....you can use sand or kitty litter, it will help with traction but these won't melt the snow.

Musher's Secret works well. When I've used it I put it on about every other day for a week and once or twice a week thereafter. I apply it before bedtime also. It's amazing how it rejuvenates the pads, makes them like new again and takes the roughness completely away. My dogs seem to like MS and one of them falls asleep while I apply it. It's non-staining too.

I would attempt coating the pads of the paws with BagBalm. It's a thick, petroleum plus based substance sold in a green can dispenser. You can get it in pet or drug stores.

I would use it before and after a walk. Remove what was used for the walk, then re-coat with a thin, fresh, clean coating of Bag-Balm. http://bagbalm.com

Bag balm stains and is greasy.