Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changes in your girls after a litter.

I bred my girl last year, kept one puppy, placed another of my dogs. This all happened about the same time.

Since the litter, I noticed my girl is a little unsure of herself. Doesn't seem to have the same confidence she had prior. She is more anxious. I don't know if the change is due to her having a litter or the changes in "room mates" or even a combination of the both. Anyone experience anything like this? She still goes to training, shows, tests, trials, so it's not like she gets left out at all. If anything, the puppy gets left behind more, just do to her levels of training.

TIA!

Re: Changes in your girls after a litter.

I've not had a girl react like that after her puppies leave and the keeper stays, however she could have been very bonded with the dog you placed, and that scenario or even when one has died has affected some of my dogs, it seems to depend on the bond they had and not all the dogs in the house react the same as say one other dog at that time. She may very well have depended on the other dog for cues and now that she's on her own is not quite at ease with her new role/station in your pack.

Re: Changes in your girls after a litter.

I had a girl this year who is 4 . She lost her mother in a c-section/spay. Her mom was the Alpha in the kennel. They were inseparable and she was very misplaced and sad when we lost our girl.She was well respected amongst the other girls in the kennel because of her Mom. She has since had several altercations with the other girls in the kennel. All is well now, but I believe she had to re-establish her place in the pack with the other dogs.