Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I head for the Vets?

My pregnant female was bred Oct. 18th, 19th and 20th. She was a 5.8 for ovulation on Oct. 17th. My calculations say 63 days from ovulation today and 62 from breeding and only a temp drop to 99.8 yesterday and 99.4 now. I am getting worried and wondering if I should wait today or run to Vet?

Re: Should I head for the Vets?

Her due date is tomorrow. Is there a reason you are worried? Any discharge, odd behavior?

Breeder
My pregnant female was bred Oct. 18th, 19th and 20th. She was a 5.8 for ovulation on Oct. 17th. My calculations say 63 days from ovulation today and 62 from breeding and only a temp drop to 99.8 yesterday and 99.4 now. I am getting worried and wondering if I should wait today or run to Vet?
. You're counting from the wrong days. First of all, the first breeding was a day earlier than neccesary. It was 1 day post ovulation instead of 2.

Laura is correct. The due date is tomorrow. If she's doing fine, I personally wouldn't go to the vet unless you haven't taken her for a pre-whelp radiograph yet or anything Laura asked about.

Good luck with the whelping.

Breeder

You need to measure temperature 3-4 times a day to catch the drop. You will miss it if you take the temperature only once a day.
The golden rule is to start breeding 2 days after they hit PG 5, but that doesn't mean that she ovulated at 5. She could have ovulated 2-3 days later. Add 2 days for the eggs to mature and she could very well be at her day 59-60 now.
If she is acting normal, no discharge, no distress, leave her alone and make sure you have enough sleep now that you can.

My girl was 5.2 on Saturday the 13th, we did a surgical Tuesday, the 16th. I figure she is due today, temp is just starting to come down - 99.8 this am, 100.0 this afternoon and we'll check again before bedtime. She's still eating but is occasionally nesting with newspaper in her whelping box/area and is resting a lot. I'm sure we'll have pups sometime tomorrow. I'm heading to bed soon with baby monitor left near my girl. We better get some rest - busy days ahead :) All the best!

TU all. My girl is now 98.2 temp. Ate her dinner and no distress or discharge. Maybe tomorrow or early Thursday.

Good Luck!

Sounds perfect. Keep us posted and best wishes!

Nothing last night. This morning heavy panting, ate some of her breakfast and temp is the lowest I have ever seen 97.3. Maybe tonight. If not then it might be a trip to the Vets.

Don't leave her, from my 10 years of experience, I'm guessing it'll be sometime today, probably this afternoon. Some dogs never go off their food. All the best!