Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
10 week old puppy question in season?

We (the vet clinic I work for) have a client the has two 10 week old female doberman puppies. The question has our Dr. stumped and that's hard to do. Both of these puppies developed swelling like they are coming in season no discharge yet just lot of urination and we sent a culture out of that. Any ideas? None of my labs have done this.

Re: 10 week old puppy question in season?

There were reports a couple years ago about owners' topical hormone and bio-identical creams, sprays, and patches, such as are prescribed in peri and post menopause, doing weird things to dogs, especially young ones. They can also cause problems for children. This will take tact and finesse with the client, with maybe telling the story about the article. There was one in the NY Times Blog, if I remember correctly. In my case, we had a friend/acquaintance who concerns about had a young male dog who was very puppyish and delayed in puberty. I didn't know the woman well enough to ask about her hormonal status, but told her the story about this interesting article I had read, and how well one has to wash after using such products, and how one has to wear long pants and not let the dog lick one's legs. The dog finally went into puberty. This can also be accidental:Puppies also sometimes get into the trash and get stuff out.

Re: 10 week old puppy question in season?

Thanks