Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deep pyroderma

Anyone have a bitch who groomed the vulva so much it had caused deep pyroderma on chin?

My bitch is very clean. Even more so when in heat. I thought maybe yeast infection but was not that.

How on earth do I keep a bitch from over grooming herself besides wearing a head collar?

Help much appreciated.

Re: Deep pyroderma

Was this the diagnosis your vet gave you, deep pyoderma? Did your vet say it was caused by her cleaning herself or is this a guess? Was a culture done? I'm also curious about the treatment.

Put her in a head collar, and exercise her. I'm sure the cleaning is partly to do with being bored. If she's tired, she won't clean herself anymore.

Break her of it before it becomes a habit.

A culture was not done. We were going to see how the meds worked first before culture. It would have been a false negative because I was spraying with bactine. Just had her in for a recheck. Vet is pleased as it is healed over and not draining anymore. 3 more weeks then another check.

She mostly licks in her crate at night. Yes, so would say boredom. Maybe because she sleeps all day while I am at work.

Was she in heat when this started?

I have a not quite two year old that had something similar happen this heat cycle. She had papules on her chin. They didn't have pus or drain anything that I could see though. First I was putting antibacterial ointment on them to no effect, then tried an antifungal, but really I think they just regressed because she went out of heat. She also had a few on her vulva that took longer to go away. Now noticed the other one that was in heat has a few papules too, but never had anything on her chin.

I don't know what it could have possibly been, an odd presentation of herpes? It seems like it must be something contagious, the two dogs aren't even related. If it happens again I'm going to find a repro vet to figure out what it is, since it seems to be connected to hormones. I'm mystified.

Maybe the same thing was going on with your bitch, then she got a secondary skin infection?

Yes, always worse when in heat. Rare to find a drop of blood when she is in heat.

**The primary treatment of superficial pyoderma is with appropriate antibiotics for ≥21 and preferably 30 days. All clinical lesions (except for complete regrowth of alopecic areas and resolution of hyperpigmented areas) should be resolved for at least 7 days before antibiotics are discontinued. Chronic, recurrent, or deep pyodermas typically require 8-12 wk or longer to resolve completely.**
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/70900.htm

It sounds like your dog has acne. Yes dogs get it too. Much more common in intact females as you guys have observed. Usually doesn't need much treatment since it tends to dry up as the hormones go back to normal but a severe case would need some antibiotics and cleaning with a good medical shampoo or scrub like betadine. The boys can get but doesn't seem to be as often as the girls. Debbie Darche, DVM

I thought acne was more of a puppy problem? What confuses me is why both my dogs have papules, in one spot or another, as though it is something contagious. One is under two years, but the other is close to four.

Laurel
I thought acne was more of a puppy problem? What confuses me is why both my dogs have papules, in one spot or another, as though it is something contagious. One is under two years, but the other is close to four.

Are they related? I read that there is a genetic component.

No, not related at all, not even the same style of lab.