Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hyalun pro

Hyalun pro is an equine product, but I heard that people use it for dogs. Anybody using it and getting good results? If you have used it, how much do you give to a 90 pound dog?

Re: hyalun pro

I haven't heard of that product but I use HylaSport Canine which started as an equine product and now they make a canine version. My old guy has been on it for a few months and, so far, I'm happy. We were using Dasuquin with MSM.

love hylasport....awesome for my seniors.

We've never used this particular product on the dogs, but the liquid hyalun pro (not the gel) is given at 3ml per 1100lbs to a horse. For me, it would depend on the reason you're thinking you need to use this on whether or not I'd be willing to give it a try. (i.e. geriatric pain, growing pains, etc.)

Elizabeth Bowron
We've never used this particular product on the dogs, but the liquid hyalun pro (not the gel) is given at 3ml per 1100lbs to a horse. For me, it would depend on the reason you're thinking you need to use this on whether or not I'd be willing to give it a try. (i.e. geriatric pain, growing pains, etc.)

The 1100 lb (horse) dose is only 30 mg of HA, that's not much considering Hylasport has 20 mg in their dog formula. You can't overdose on HA, in fact a great percent of it isn't taken up. The Hyalun pro uses a lot of slick marketing but some of it is just smoke and mirrors for the average consumer, like their dalton molecular weight chart. Don't be fooled. BTW, I give my senior 40 mg of HA/day.

Hylasport has a decent amount of HA in it plus other helpful ingredients like MSM, Vit C, Glucosamine and Chondroitin (at a decent levels also). Products designed for horses are carried in a medium that allows for easy dispensing to horses but HA is the active ingredient and is all that is needed by either a dog or horse.

Different species metabolize drugs differently, so perhaps that is the reason for the lesser amount needed for a horse. A 100lb dog can take a 228mg dose of prevacox to feel better and yet a horse- a 1000lb animal gets the same response with only 57mg of the same drug. Don't know for certain about the HA, but one should probably discuss with a veterinarian first.