Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kirkland dog food users--Question

Which food do you prefer? The chicken or the lamb?

Re: Kirkland dog food users--Question

I use the chicken, a bit more protein/fat, as I recall.

We use Nature's Domain, Salmon formula sold at Costco, their kirkland signiture brand on the bag. I love it because it is an all stage kibble so I feed it to my 3 week pups and they continue growing up on it. They have less stool/amount than when I used to feed them the Signiture Lamb and Rice.Our dark coated dogs no longer have dander which is a plus !! Plus, I've noticed that the Signiture Lamb and Rice is almost as expensive as the Salmon from Nature's Domain.

Breeders--What do you tell your puppy buyers to feed??

If you feed Kirkland, you can't expect your puppy buyers to do the same. They may not have a Costco membership or they may not even have a Costco near by. What do you do then?

breeder
Which food do you prefer? The chicken or the lamb?
I use adult chicken only, no lamb.

The poster that asked about puppy food, I don't use Kirkland's Puppy food for some of the reasons you mentioned and more. Not every puppy buyer is a Costco member and some don't have a Costco near them.

For those reasons I use Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice for all puppies including my keepers. I am pleased with BB Chicken and Brown Rice. It's much pricier then Kirkland foods but families can get it anywhere and my puppies seem to enjoy it much more than foods like ProPlan.

I move my keepers over to either Kirkland Adult C & R or to BB Chicken and Brown Adult by 6 months and advise the puppy owners to do the same. If I have only 1 keeper I usually stay with Blue Buffalo for adult food. It depends on when I plan on showing that puppy although they seem to do just as well on Kirkland C & R when it comes to coat growth. I know the youngsters love their Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice for some reason, I assume taste.

Re: Breeders--What do you tell your puppy buyers to feed??

I advise that my lines do best on a good grade of Salmon or Lamb and Rice. I buy a bag of Nature's Domain that goes home with each puppy/family and they are instructed to gradually wean them over to whatever kibble they want to switch over to per my list of quality kibble suggestions. Most of the families shop at Costco anyway and if they don't they end up getting a membership just because the Nature's Domain is hard to beat price wise. Plus they buy dog beds and other goodies for their new puppy.

Re: Breeders--What do you tell your puppy buyers to feed??

I feed my pups proplan and advise the buyers use the same, it is available at the large pet warehouse stores, occasionally I use eukanuba if it's a better deal. I only feed kirkland to adults.