Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
name change

I sold a two year old female to a guy that I have been acquaintances with for about 8 years. She was sold on full registration and will be used for hunting and breeding.

He did not like her call name and was going to change it to something similar.
He called today to say AKC needed me to contact them to verify it was OK for him to change the dogs full registration name.

He removed my kennel name and put his own in, completely changing the entire name of the dog.

how would you feel about this? would it bother you or because you sold the dog is it no longer your say?

Re: name change

If the dogs is not pointed, he can do as he pleases, unfortunately, but you already knew that. What he cannot change is the fact that you bred the dog.

You bred the dog and your kennel name should be on it. If he wants to add his kennel name to the dog then fine but yours should stay - IMO.

I would insist your kennel name to stay. You bred her.

How much is it worth to him to not have your name on?

He called me today to tell me he sent in the papers to changed it and the AKC rep needed me to email and approve.
I was a bit speechless when he told me, I would never consider changing a registered name - just disrespectful.

Then don't approve the change. Have him come up with a name he likes using your kennel name before you will approve.

NO WAY!
My kennel name stays, ALWAYS!

He can't change the name without your signature. If you don't want him to change the name, just don't sign the papers. It cost $20 to do the change and the dog must not have any ribbons won ever. Even if he was 4th in a 4 dogs class, that is a ribbon and the name can't be changed.
Besides, he can call the dogs anything we likes, but there is no need to change the reg name. That is just to take your credit away.

Clearly the dog never won anything otherwise this would be a moot point. You buy a 2 y/o dog with registered name, the name should stay. I wouldn't approve it and if he calls again, tell him that wasn't part of the deal. That's her registered name. End of story. He can change her call name all he wants, but not the registered name.

No way, if you can stop it I wouldn't approve a name change or let him add his kennel name either (just because he wants to remove yours). Unknowing puppy buyers will think he bred the dog and I'm sure that's his motive. I know a hobby breeder in NJ that did this, despicable! Breeders and others in the know will undoubtedly think less of this breeder but I doubt he cares. Unscrupulous.

No reason to change the name. Do not agree to do it. If he wanted to change her call name fine. But your kennel name stay on the dog. Crazy