Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bones for teeth cleaning

What kind of bones do you purchase to keep teeth clean? I have tried rawhide but they eat them too fast and get sick. What would be best?

I always worry also about them getting a small piece and swallowing it whole.

Re: Bones for teeth cleaning

large nylon bones made for chewers.

'Venisonjoesbeef' Elk antlers, x-large, work for my boys, $$$, but they last and don't break off into splinter bits. Go to their website and check out 'store locator' for a feed or pet store that sells them in your area. I'm tryng to find an online source.

Raw marrow bones - cut about 4-5 inches long.

I give my guys extra large moose antlers and Nylar Bones. The moose antlers are expensive but they last a couple of months. I get mine from cleanrun.com

I like antlers, and the beef knuckle bones for my dogs. The knuckle bones clean up the teeth very well, but you do have to supervise. The antlers last a very long time (months or longer). I have lots of sheds that I found in the woods, and from bucks that I have shot. Buying is expensive, but worth it if you do not know someone that hunts.

These are the best:

http://www.jefferspet.com/l-bone/camid/PET/cp/4G-L2/

LOVE them!

And get 6 inch marrow bones from the butcher. Give it to them frozen.

Some worry about slab fractures with the marrow bones, I've been fortunate in 15+ years to not have any. I think the key has been that they are frozen.

Now that I've just jinxed myself....

Sue Puff

Raw marrow bone here too. Those 6 inch bones are good for months and months. After the dogs get the marrow out, they still chew on them. You don't have to worry about germs or bacteria.

Sue Puff
And get 6 inch marrow bones from the butcher. Give it to them frozen.

Some worry about slab fractures with the marrow bones, I've been fortunate in 15+ years to not have any. I think the key has been that they are frozen.

Now that I've just jinxed myself....

Sue Puff

I said this too and guess what, I have my first slab fracture. NO MORE. My girl isn't a heavy chewer either and I always gave them frozen. It only takes a second and a tooth can be ruined. I've heard people say they watch their dogs so something like this doesn't happen, well you can't prevent it. One should never give a dog weight bearing bones that are stronger than the teeth. Maybe a raw rib bone would be better?

Do you think cow hooves are safe for Labs? A friend said her Pug loves them but I am afraid a Labrador would swallow them.

Went to butcher today and got a bunch of bones. Everyone happily chewing. Love how Labradors can chew laying side by side without a fuss. :)

Thanks for suggestions.

I love cow hooves. They stink but the dogs love them. They chew on them till there are just tips left and I save those for the puppies. Easy to find at any feed store (much cheaper place to buy than a pet store--generally $.75-$1 ea). Always have some on hand and the dogs have super clean teeth, gums are very healthy. If your dog has not chewed one before or their gums are inflamed you might notice a little blood at first but after a few days the gums are a healthier pink, teeth cleaner and you have a happy dog PS I'm a dental hygienist so healthy teeth and gums is always a plus with me

Always used to give marrow and knuckle bones to my dogs. Then saw a sign in the dog dentist office: Do Not Give Bones To Your Dogs! I've heard of tooth fracture with bones and hooves and antlers. Someone mentioned that if you can give Moose antlers - the flat part - that it's less likely to cause a fracture - due to the shape of the antler not rotating a certain way when the dog chews on it. Also - suggested that dogs be given softer bones - bones from young animals. Like if the have a log they like to play with/gnaw on - make it a softer piece of wood - one that you can put a dent into with your fingernail.

Frozen turkey necks. Cheap (but I have to buy by the case-which is a 20lb box!) and the dogs love them. Since they come in "bulk", the dogs can have one once a week without breaking the bank.