Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone had their dogs spayed/neutered at...

The Humane society (your local county version of the humane society)? The reason I ask is that I have two 6 year old siblings and another 6 year old that need to be neutered (2 males, one female). My vet charges ~$200.00/male and ~$300.00/female. The humane society charges $75.00 per dog. Being unemployed, the difference is very significant to me. While the humane society charges extra for antibiotics and pain meds., I already have those on hand.

Re: Has anyone had their dogs spayed/neutered at...

I truly understand that you want to do right by the dogs. How about doing the female at your vet and holding off on the males? Or ask your vet if they will match the price or meet you halfway? If you are placing the 6 year olds, maybe have the spay price be the "adoption" price or part of it?

Some lower cost neuters can be done at regular vets through Friends of Animals. There is an extra charge for dogs over I think 50 lbs. You prepay for the certificate, which is similar in price to that which you quote. If you go to their site and put in your zip code, they can email you vets nearby who will honor the certificate. Just to be sure, call the clinic in advance before ordering it.

I once asked a rescue-friendly vet about doing rescued Labs at a big low-cost clinic in NJ. The Labrador owning vet had worked there before gong to a private practice, as a way of getting experience and gaining speed at the operation. She advised me to most certainly NOT take a female large-breed dog there for such a major abdominal operation. She said she'd do a male CAT there. Something about corners cut, assembly line, and inexperienced surgeons and their help. She ended up meeting their price as a way of helping our rescue, and she did this on her own time at the clinic where she worked, with the fee going to the clinic's overhead. Things may have changed there in the past decade or more.

If worse comes to worse, it is better that she be spayed at the clinic than risking pyo or that she be "adopted" just to be bred into the ground by someone who deceives you as to their intentions.

Another thought: Would your usual vet clinic let your dogs be blood donors to help defray surgery costs? Ideally not near the time of the operations, even on the boys, but some weeks in advance of surgery? The dogs could help save other lives AND help pay their way. I realize that this may or may not work. Sometimes our large breed rescues, the Labs, helped do this.

I have used low cost clinics for each spay I do.
I happen to know the vets and trust them, plus it is half the cost.
I have asked my other vet if the would match or just get close and they won't.

It's not like they are some back wood chop shop, heck our low cost is newer with better equipment.

I would not but that is me. If like the other person you happened to know who worked there. But where we are have had alot of butcher jobs. Cost more in the long run.

I was ask for references. Ask to stay there. It is a must to be done. Bet the Humane Society vets are just a caring. Even more as they give up a lot.

For the past 30 yrs, I have used my " Low Cost Vet Clinic " to do my spays and neuters. He's never once botched up a neuter or spay. The one time I decided to use my then regular vet, my girl started to hemorrhage and the vet had troubles getting it to stop. My girl was 2 yrs old and had not been bred. Should have been a routine spay so I'll never use a regular vet clinic again. The low cost clinics do need to be checked on as far as reviews but my feeling has been, this is all they do so they get very good at their craft. Many of my families have used the Humane Society Vets with success and very low costs.

I don't see why not, but make sure they have all their shots at least 1 month before you take them including distemper, Parvo and kennel cough. They can catch a a bug while there.