Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inside vs. Outside

Just wondering how much time your dogs spend inside, if at all. Just got a new puppy bitch and her breeder suggested that what he has found works best for him is if the dogs stay outside or in kennel runs and never in house otherwise they will end up looking like pets. We usually like to have ours in the house when the family is all home at night, dogs love it and they get some good attention and socialization time. They are probably in for about 2 hours every night. Is this too much time? Her breeder thought so but I just thought I'd ask what others do. I do not want to start a big debate, just really looking for what has worked well for others.

Re: Inside vs. Outside

My champions live in my house. They also have a huge paddock and are outside in that a lot.

Somewhat New
Just got a new puppy bitch and her breeder suggested that what he has found works best for him is if the dogs stay outside or in kennel runs and never in house otherwise they will end up looking like pets.

That statement is just about the most stupied, ignorant, or whatever other adjective there is to say that I've ever heard. This person can't be for real. This is just another post to ignore.

Don't know if you are referring to me or the breeder, but I am most certainly for real. And, this is exactly what I've been told by her breeder. I am looking for honest answers on this and not trying to start a debate as I know everyone houses their dogs differently. I am not judging and don't wish for others to come on here and do so. I would just like to know what others have found that works best for them and if people successfully keep their show dogs in the house at all.

Well, the first thing I'd say to you is find a new breeder/mentor.
That is utterly ridiculous.
My BISS GCH boy lives in the house 24/7. I make sure he excerises and usually thats walking with me (as I need it too!).
I prefer to have dogs rotate in and out regularly.
I do not believe any dog should lives exclusively one way or another.
I know some breeders who dont allow dogs in their homes. I think they should get another hobby.
JMO

Somewhat New
Don't know if you are referring to me or the breeder, but I am most certainly for real. And, this is exactly what I've been told by her breeder. I am looking for honest answers on this and not trying to start a debate as I know everyone houses their dogs differently. I am not judging and don't wish for others to come on here and do so. I would just like to know what others have found that works best for them and if people successfully keep their show dogs in the house at all.

Many CH live solely in the house. You can't spend too much time with a dog, especially a young puppy. They need the socialization. They also need to get used to different environments and noises inside so they aren't scared of those things. After all, they will be indoors for some shows. Living inside won't make them look different; some day coat may be different. Keep the dog active with play time outside. But feel free to spoil your dog.

My show dogs spend abouy 6-7 hours outside and the rest of the time they rotate inside with me. Labradors are "people" dogs and need socialization. Also, how do you "know" your dog if it's outside all the time. You need to see it's temperament and you need to know if something with it's health is "off". Bring the dog in when you're home and you'll be alot happier and so will the dog. Maybe your breeder mistakenly thinks a dog looks different as a "pet" because it's inside. I think they look different because they are graded as "pets" and they're often spayed/neutered young which will change the structure and coat. JMHO

I think what the Breeder was trying to convey was that in an effort to present an athelete, a show dog in tip top condition, that this dog needs to have a certain level of total excercise. Not just a walk in the park. Dogs that are presented in working condition are NOT lounging on the sofa during the day. They are on strict programs of conditioning.
Pulling your show dog off the sofa and going in the ring , with a dog "conditioned" in the manner that I described , puts one of you in a distinct disadvantage. Entry fees are expensive , as is travel, you decide how much money you have, and how long you want to take a NON-competative dog in the ring , because it is out of condition, compared to the dog that beats you , that is in tip top condition.

I think breeders like the one you are getting your dog from is the reason why we have diseases like epilepsy slipping into our lines (because no one is there with the dog to see that they actually HAVE seizures) and problems with temperament. Not the kind of breeder I would feel comfortable associating with, but that's just me. Mine live in the house, get plenty of exercise outside, and often sleep in my bed.

me
I think breeders like the one you are getting your dog from is the reason why we have diseases like epilepsy slipping into our lines

that has to be the oddest quote, because the dogs are outside they will have epilepsy?? has nothing to do with in or out.

I personally have mine out in large indoor kennels with large play yards attached and I rotate a few in at a time so they get the personal inside attention. House is not set up to have all in at once, plus I work during the day so they get more run time outside.

much better than the last show breeder I visited, her inside dogs stayed in crates in the garage with small turn out periods through out the day. I felt bad for them.

?
me
I think breeders like the one you are getting your dog from is the reason why we have diseases like epilepsy slipping into our lines

that has to be the oddest quote, because the dogs are outside they will have epilepsy?? has nothing to do with in or out.

I personally have mine out in large indoor kennels with large play yards attached and I rotate a few in at a time so they get the personal inside attention. House is not set up to have all in at once, plus I work during the day so they get more run time outside.

much better than the last show breeder I visited, her inside dogs stayed in crates in the garage with small turn out periods through out the day. I felt bad for them.

Well, I'll agree with this to a point. I had a girl that I found was having seizures - I witnessed 2 of them in a 2 month period, even though she was inside several hours a day, but lived the rest of the time outside. I thought they were infrequent, but when she went to a pet home (used to dealing with epileptic dogs, fortunately), it was obvious she was having them much more frequently than I saw even when I was watching carefully. So yes, I can see how you could miss some seizures!E

I notice that when my dogs are in the house, all they do is sleep all day. When they are outdoors, they play for a while, but it's not like they are out there on a treadmill or anything. Weather permitting, the young ones stop playing within an hour, the older ones sooner. I won't leave my dogs outdoors when I am not home, and with most of them I won't leave them loose in the house when I can't supervise them. Luckily I am home a lot.

I have no problems keeping dogs outside. I do bring them in from time to time as they need the socialization and experience being inside, but for the most they are dogs. Labs were developed to be a working dog, not a couch potato. I find my puppies look better when they are allowed to be dogs-that includes being allowed plenty of exercise and exposure to cooler temperatures for better coats. I get a lot of comments from judges about the great condition and muscling of my dogs in the ring. They are not skinny, but well-fleshed and in hard condition. My dogs are kept in large runs and are turned out several times a day to run at top speed if they so desire-which they do! They love to run. I just feel it is important that if you don't want to keep dogs outside, that you allow them this time to run.

I find the breeder of your puppy funny. I guess everyone has a way of doing things. Honestly Living in the house vs living in the kennel surely doesn't change the structure or quality of a dog. Yes having a "house pet" can make the difference in condition. However I have seen Kennel dogs just a flabby and unfit as the average "House Pet". It comes down to having a dog with the right stuff in the right places and your ability to help keep your dog of sound Mind and Body with the right amount of social experiences and Physical activity.

Personally I've had Champions who not only slept in my bedroom on cushy beds at night, they'd go to work with me during the day. My Lunch break was spent by taking a walk to the park and throwing bumpers to keep them in top shape. As far as I am concerned Kennel living is not the kind of life I want for my dogs. They are my pets first, show dogs second, and if it works out right for me, I breed from them. I only will breed a dog I can literally live with in my home.

It all depends on how you and how you wish to live with your dogs. I hope your new Pup has what it takes and you have fun with her.

It doesn't matter whether your dog lives in the house or in a kennel...without FORCED exertion they will only be marginally in shape. Retrieving, swimming, walking, jogging, whatever it may be, it has to push the dog a little further than they would do on their own. No different than training a human athlete.

I have always been envious of the dogs that look good in the ring that live their lives in a backyard or paddock and crate in the home.... mine certainlly wouldn't... they have to have more to bring out the best in them.

I don't use FORCED exercise on my dogs and they are in great shape. I always get comments on how muscled up they are - - and they sleep in the house on my bed.

My dogs live in the house. However, I have an exercise routine for them 3-4days a week that goes beyond their regular fun in the dog yard.