Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Major Decisions

Very confused about this.
If your dog already had both majors should you still show it at other shows that have a major entry?
I got chewed on about this for doing just that last weekend. My guy has both majors and we were at an all breed show that was a major entry and was told I was rotten for taking the major from someone who really needs them.
Should I just keep going after single points until I get to 15 with my already won 2 majors?

Re: Major Decisions

There is absolutely no reason why you should stop showing your dog in major competition after he gets both majors. Points are points. If everyone stopped showing their dogs after they got their majors, it would become very difficult to find majors. If this persons dogs aren't good enough to beat your dog for the major then they shouldn't get them anyway.

Keep showing your dog in major shows.

Why not?
There is absolutely no reason why you should stop showing your dog in major competition after he gets both majors. Points are points. If everyone stopped showing their dogs after they got their majors, it would become very difficult to find majors. If this persons dogs aren't good enough to beat your dog for the major then they shouldn't get them anyway.

Keep showing your dog in major shows.

What if the opposite is the case, you have all your minor points, should you keep showing at single point shows?

Breeder123
What if the opposite is the case, you have all your minor points, should you keep showing at single point shows?

Well singles are a different story. Once you minor out, there's really no point to continue showing your dog if you only need majors. And in this case you may just take away a point from a dog that needs that one point to finish.

But as I stated above, when you've gotten both majors, points are points. They all count whether it's one or five at a time.

Absolutely show! I have a dog that finished with 5 majors and another with 4 majors (mostly specialty wins). May the best dog win!

I do however agree with not showing a single point shows when there is absolutely no way of getting a major short of going Group 1 and taking a major from another breed!

If your dog has both majors and wins more majors, those points still count as points towards its championship, so there is no reason why someone should not show a dog who already has 2 majors but still needs more points to finish. However, if a dog who is singled out and now just needs majors wins at a 1 or 2 point show those points will NOT count towards the dogs championship, so they are wasted points, so to show in that situation is just rude to your fellow exhibitors who need those points towards their dogs championship.

Why continue to show a dog who has "singled out" at shows that don't pull a major? For the fun? I suppose, but why spend the entry money when the dog no longer needs additional single points? Save that money for shows with "major" entries.

In my area it's often just 1-3 points making a major or missing a major at AB shows. We often don't know which way it'll go when we sign up.

If you enjoy showing your dog but have enough singles, why not show? Isn't part of showing to assess breeding stock and to see other's dogs and see what you like and may wish to breed too? In our area, you showing up just could make a major.

Breeder123
If your dog already had both majors should you still show it at other shows that have a major entry?
I got chewed on about this for doing just that last weekend. My guy has both majors and we were at an all breed show that was a major entry and was told I was rotten for taking the major from someone who really needs them.
Should I just keep going after single points until I get to 15 with my already won 2 majors?

Envy is a bitch! Run from that people. Finishing with more than 2 majors is the best that can happen to your dog, not so much for the other exhibitors.

YOU GO GET FOUR MAJORS AND YOU FINISH

Breeder123

Get as many majors as you can. Finishing in fewer shows is not only cost effective but it is an achievement. You aren't taking a major away from anyone, you are getting it for yourself! OTOH, if you are singled out, you waste money and time competing for single points. Doesn't matter how it affects any other exhibitor.

Good sportsmanship might dictate that you not show in a small show if you are singled out, but there could be a time when the judge loves your dog and might give it breed and allow you to compete in group. If your dog wins the group you can get additional points and make a major that way. There are times when you are trying to build majors or points and you might show even if it wouldn't count if you won, but you have no obligation to save the major for example if your dog is sick or you have other obstacles to getting your dog shown.

In a nutshell, you should make the decision based on what's best for your dog and your dog's career. If it counts, go for it!

What a great idea. Instead of getting a 3 point major at a show, I can go to 3 shows. The dogs my dog defeats will not be likely to be the quality of the dogs shown when there is a major. That is impressive. Plus, I get to pay triple entry fees, do 3 times as much traveling, and pay a handler 3 times as much too.

Wonderful to NOT impress anyone and waste a lot of time and money. How clever!

BRDR
In my area it's often just 1-3 points making a major or missing a major at AB shows. We often don't know which way it'll go when we sign up.

If you enjoy showing your dog but have enough singles, why not show? Isn't part of showing to assess breeding stock and to see other's dogs and see what you like and may wish to breed too? In our area, you showing up just could make a major.

There was a dog being shown by a handler a year or 2 ago that finally finished with something like 35 points. It took a lot of showing and time to finally get that 2nd major, and in the meantime, this dog won a lot of single points at small shows, most of which never bring in major entries. Yes, part of showing is assessing breeding stock, but if it were my dog, this is not what I would want people to see. A dog that struggles to be competitive at major entry shows and is only the top dog at small shows is unlikely to impress anyone. In addition, AKC showing calls for a level of sportsmanship, and rather and rack up unnecessary singles, it is far more impressive to finish the dog with class and then show to your heart's content in BOB.

On the flip side, there is no reason not to show at a major entry show if your dog already has majors - the points count regardless.

You didn't "take the major away from someone who needed it". Some people are just sore losers.

Your dog was judged the best and earned that third major. Congratulations!

I'm in favor of efficiency. With the cost of everything show-related these days, I'd say it was very frugal of you and your dog to eliminate the need for an additional show or two.

In my neck of the woods, we don't know if we will have a Major until entries are closed and tallied, and even then, there is always the risk of them breaking. You pretty much have to enter every show and it can take what comes your way, even it's a Major that isn't needed or single points. It all ebbs and flows. Sometimes, if one dog finishes early in the weekend, we will keep that dog in and "show" the dog anyhow, so the Majors won't break. Those are always entertaining events! Doing everything in your power not to show a dog who knows how to show! Ha!

Perhaps the person who said something is confused about the major vs. minor points. There is no reason not to show at a major show if your dog already has his 2 majors. However...if your dog is minored out, then it's poor sportsmanship to continue to show him at a minor show...

Breeder123

I get that you were trying to be funny, but it simply came out as sarcasm and unfortunately, didn't provide much value... Why not try a positive approach in 2013 and share your wisdom to help educate and enlighten, rather than being so negative...

breeder
What a great idea. Instead of getting a 3 point major at a show, I can go to 3 shows. The dogs my dog defeats will not be likely to be the quality of the dogs shown when there is a major. That is impressive. Plus, I get to pay triple entry fees, do 3 times as much traveling, and pay a handler 3 times as much too.

Wonderful to NOT impress anyone and waste a lot of time and money. How clever!

I would agree with the previous poster - even if you have both majors, continue to show at majors to finish. The only possible sportsmanship issue is when you are minored out (singled out, whatever...) and continue to show up at those shows. There's no point in burning the gas to show when you don't need those points, and for someone who is stuck on 1 point (like that happens, right?) it's like running up the score in a football game.

On the issue of whether you should have pulled from the major since you already had what you need, that's just plain stupid. What would happen if there were a few people who also had their majors, and everyone pulled, and the major broke? Talk about some pissed off exhibitors....

This weekend there is a show where the number of dogs *just* make it a major. My boy needs a major to finish.,,he is starting to blow coat and it's a 3 hour drive. So if I go and am ringside and the major breaks I just get him back in the car and drive 3 hours home? What would you do? If I stay home and my boy not being there breaks the major I'm going to have folks mad at me. I could drive all that way both Saturday and Sunday for nothing.

breeder 333
I could drive all that way both Saturday and Sunday for nothing.

Sounds like any other weekend at the dog shows to me.... LOL!!!