Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ear Infection and Pregnant Bitch

I have a girl who was bred 2 weeks ago and today she is shaking her ears. I looked with an otoscope and she has fluid in her ear. Looks like the start of an infection or just in need of a good cleanser to dry it out. My question is: Can the boric acid solution with vention violet be used in the early stages of pregnancy? I have a cleanser with Ketoconazole in it and am nerveous about using that. I know I cannot use an antibiotic with a steroid so I am hoping I can clear it with the boric acid cleaning solution. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Ear Infection and Pregnant Bitch

Disclaimer: Call your vet with this question!

You certainly can you the purple boric acid ear cleanser - that's all I use if the girls have ear issues while pregnant. DON'T use the Ketoconazol either!

sth
I have a girl who was bred 2 weeks ago and today she is shaking her ears. I looked with an otoscope and she has fluid in her ear. Looks like the start of an infection or just in need of a good cleanser to dry it out. My question is: Can the boric acid solution with vention violet be used in the early stages of pregnancy? I have a cleanser with Ketoconazole in it and am nervous about using that. I know I cannot use an antibiotic with a steroid so I am hoping I can clear it with the boric acid cleaning solution. Thank you in advance for your help.

It is gentian violet. No, you can't use it in a pregnant female. Neither the ketoconazole.
You can use Zymox ear cleaner or boric alcohol, which you can make at home with the boric acid and alcohol. You can add Aloe gel for soothing of the ear canal skin.

I like Zymox. Just make sure that you get the one with no steroids in it. The label is clear about that. Good luck!

Breeder
sth
I have a girl who was bred 2 weeks ago and today she is shaking her ears. I looked with an otoscope and she has fluid in her ear. Looks like the start of an infection or just in need of a good cleanser to dry it out. My question is: Can the boric acid solution with vention violet be used in the early stages of pregnancy? I have a cleanser with Ketoconazole in it and am nervous about using that. I know I cannot use an antibiotic with a steroid so I am hoping I can clear it with the boric acid cleaning solution. Thank you in advance for your help.

It is gentian violet. No, you can't use it in a pregnant female. Neither the ketoconazole.
You can use Zymox ear cleaner or boric alcohol, which you can make at home with the boric acid and alcohol. You can add Aloe gel for soothing of the ear canal skin.

Why can't you use the Genetian Violet ear cleaner in a pregnant bitch? It has been recommended to me several times, by my repro vet.

My repro vet gave me Ketomax ph 8.5 flush to use on my pg female ears.

I don't know about Zymox ear cleaner, but there are 2 types of Zymox Otic solution. The one with the blue label has a steroid in it, and the one with the green label does not. The blue one, of course, says not to use on pregnant or lactating females. The green one does not have any such cautionary statement. I have used that one on my pregnant girls with no problems.

On the zymox without steroid. It is enzymatic so less harsh (more holistic) and works great and safe for pregnancy.

Amazon is much cheaper than your vet. $9. compared to $20 plus.

I have one line that always gets ear infections with pregnancy . I use plain brown Listerine, works great for us. I use it twice a day, I stick with it for a week even though signs of infection are usually gone within 2 days.

I have heard of using HP too but always read it should be diluted 50% with water.

Anyone else read this?