Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not enough milk....

A friend of mine has a bitch with a singleton. The pup doesn't seem to be getting enough milk. What is the product (not oxytocin) that some of you have given to stimulate increased milk production? I tried a search but it wouldn't come up.

Re: Not enough milk....

Jamie K
A friend of mine has a bitch with a singleton. The pup doesn't seem to be getting enough milk. What is the product (not oxytocin) that some of you have given to stimulate increased milk production? I tried a search but it wouldn't come up.

Mom will only produce as much milk as the "litter" needs. How old is the puppy? It may take a day or so before you actually see much milk but the baby's requirements won't be a lot in the beginning. Mom should start producing more as the puppy requires more.

Usually a pit shot is given at the end of the whelping to clean Mom out and it also helps to bring down the milk.

It was born Sunday. She says it goes from teat to teat, and doesn't seem satisfied. Also, this was a first litter.

Fenugreek and breastfeeding - Fenugreek seeds contain hormone precursors that increase milk supply. Scientists do not know for sure how this happens. Some believe it is possible because breasts are modified sweat glands, and fenugreek stimulates sweat production. It has been found that fenugreek can increase a nursing mother's milk supply within 24 to 72 hours after first taking the herb. Once an adequate level of milk production is reached, you can discontinue the fenugreek and maintain the milk supply with adequate breast stimulation.

if milk is not in with in 12 hours I start mom out on 2 capsules every 4 hours, usually things are kicking in with in 24 hours.

Thanks. That's the one I was looking for.

Jamie K
It was born Sunday. She says it goes from teat to teat, and doesn't seem satisfied. Also, this was a first litter.

The herb sounds like it's worth a try. Keep in mind though that Mother Nature doesn't know which teat the puppy is going to be using but just that there's a small litter. So puppy may need to go along the milk bar to get as much as she needs for awhile til mom's milk really comes in. As long as there's enough milk, it doesn't matter if it's not all in one teat.

Hard to evaluated what's happening when not there but good luck and hope all settles down soon.

Is the puppy gaining weight? If so, I don't know that I'd want to screw around trying to get the mom to produce more milk for a singleton - risk of mastitis and all. I've had 2 singleton puppies - neither time did the mom get huge with milk, but obviously had enough for the puppy, and not even close to ever getting mastitis.

Usually, there is too much milk for a single pup or very small litter at first. Hopefully, there isn't retained placenta or some other hormonal problem. What does your vet think?

Not my pup, but the temp on the bitch is normal. She's mothering well and acting normal. The pup just doesn't seem to be satified. Goes from nipple to nipple and not gaining at a normal rate.

I have not had a singleton but I did have a 2 pup litter and they were constantly switching nipples. I think they just switch because it's easier to get the milk on a fresh teat. It's probably good for the mother too. If a teat isn't drained it can develop mastitis. As long as the pup is gaining then I wouldn't worry.

latch on and hindmilk, Re: Not enough milk....

If you can, watch the pup in person or on a video for your friend if there is still not enough weight gain. Ideally, someone should also check the mouth, forelegs and umbilicus of the pup. If the pup is fine, pup may just need some help kneading down the filling hindmilk, as it has been days since whelping. If this was a c-section, the first few days, the meds could have made the pups fussy and the inexperience of the dam could have made her tense. My guess is that there is a latch on problem with the pup and/or a tension in the dam. In human babies, you'd get a lactation consultant or at least a LaLeche league counselor. Littermates would have stimulated more milk letdown. If the backmost teats are a little too big for good latch on, the pup should probably be encouraged to hold on to the row on or two in front of the last row, and the breeder should act as a littermate and stroke the milk down. I tend to try to hold such a pup to the teat, and encourage more nursing on the one started or the pup will only get the watery foremilk ("skim milk") by this age and not enough of the hind mild ("half and half"). . When the pup makes huge gulping sounds, there is a letdown, sometimes even to the point that the pup will sputter. The fenugreek will help with milk production, if it is truly needed, and, as an ingredient in gripewater, maybe help the pup if it is a tad colic prone. Also, dew claw removal may make a pup sore and unwilling to knead--the forefeet hurt. Sometimes the wound where the dewclaw was is more sore or splits, and a little more glue is needed for the pup's comfort. If necessary, the breeder should manually but gently milk other teats to encourage milk production and to help prevent mastitis--but with a singleton, be careful not to overdo it. Sometimes a drop of NutriDrops or a glucose solution can be used to give the pup a little extra energy for the work of nursing. Monitor that dam's temp and discharge closely, as of course Jaime would have reminded the breeder. Try a little gas-ex in her or baby simethicone drops in the pup.

Jaime, does any of this seem to apply? Or is the pup doing much better now?