Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trouble getting tie

I have a 6 year old male who has sired 5 litters, all natural matings with at least 2 or 3 successful ties over the course of the breedings. Recently tried to breed him to one of my girls and he tried and tried but could not get a tie, tried every other day for 7 days +/- giving him about 1 hour each mating, supervised of course. I have never collected this boy so not sure he would allow it. Any ideas? I did not do pregesterones on this girl and the breeding did ot take. Anyone have a boy have a hard timem getting a tie like this?? I tried different locations, holding the bitch, not holding the bitch, etc. He seemed to be right there many times but "pulled out" at last minute. He sired a litter a month prior to this breeding.

Re: Trouble getting tie

People still do natural breedings? LOL I so prefer to do AI. Easier on all involved. Progesterone is pretty easy to do and can be done in house now with a little practice. AI is pretty easy to learn as well. Saves on this type of situation. There may be many reasons you can not get a tie. Strictures, conformation, timing, etc.

Baffled
I have a 6 year old male who has sired 5 litters, all natural matings with at least 2 or 3 successful ties over the course of the breedings. Recently tried to breed him to one of my girls and he tried and tried but could not get a tie, tried every other day for 7 days +/- giving him about 1 hour each mating, supervised of course. I have never collected this boy so not sure he would allow it. Any ideas? I did not do pregesterones on this girl and the breeding did ot take. Anyone have a boy have a hard timem getting a tie like this?? I tried different locations, holding the bitch, not holding the bitch, etc. He seemed to be right there many times but "pulled out" at last minute. He sired a litter a month prior to this breeding.

If your boy was doing that did you check the bitch for a stricture? If you are sure she is ready and no stricture then what we used to do was have someone hold her head while a second person stood behind the male. As soon as he penetrated her the person behind the boy would bend down and take hold of the bitch's hocks holding the male in place on top of her. Hold this position until he ties her then you can carefully turn him. This was done for slip ties.

idea
If your boy was doing that did you check the bitch for a stricture? If you are sure she is ready and no stricture then what we used to do was have someone hold her head while a second person stood behind the male. As soon as he penetrated her the person behind the boy would bend down and take hold of the bitch's hocks holding the male in place on top of her. Hold this position until he ties her then you can carefully turn him. This was done for slip ties.

Yes, that is what you need to do. hug them together for a couple of minutes until his bulbs are fully inflated.

There are a number of things that can prevent an experience boy to tie. He could have low testosterone. She could have low estrogen. Has the bitch been bred before? Off timing. Vaginal strictures.

Just do an AI and get it done. You remind me of 25 yrs ago. Not playing those games anymore.

Years ago when I bred naturally, a boy did this when he became sterile. He could no longer tie. Brought them into vet to AI - they collected and nothing at all in the collection.

Because I am into obedience, I have a lot of friends with other breeds. Only the lab breeders have this obsession with AIs. People with other breeds often think the AI thing is ridiculous. Keep an open mind.

obedience friends
Because I am into obedience, I have a lot of friends with other breeds. Only the lab breeders have this obsession with AIs. People with other breeds often think the AI thing is ridiculous. Keep an open mind.

I learned many years ago how to do AI's from a Sheltie breeder. They do mostly AIs too. I think you need to keep an open mind about just how many other breeders/breeds do nothing but AI's. Saves a lot of frustration in the end.

The bitch has a one litter naturally, I usually do progesterones but didn't this time around,my bad. I never collected this boy before and he seems to back off if I go too close when he mounts her. I may try to do an AI first though, but not sure he will allow. He sired a litter about a month prior so I'm pretty sure he is ok. He was getting Rimadyl at the time for an ortho injury (not severe just a strain) so not sure if that had something to do with it. He was very eager and didn't give up, just never got a tie.

I would say timing. If the time is not right, it just does not happen. Other wise you could hardly stop them, they both will get it.