Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
skin allergies NLR

My niece owns an English Bulldog who has had nothing but health problems since she got him. Her first mistake was purchasing him from an online kennel in the Midwest without vetting the breeder, who has never once responded to any of her questions since she paid for him -- but that's another story.

My niece loves her dog and has spent MANY thousands of dollars on operations and vet care for him since he first arrived. In particular, the poor dog is in constant misery from skin allergies that a dermatologist has not been able to remedy. I suggested that she seek the help of a holistic vet and perhaps take the dog to a nutritionist at Cornell. If you have other ideas and/or know of any products or diets she might try to alleviate this, would you please pass along the information?

Also, if you know of a reputable bulldog breeder she might be able to talk to for suggestions, that would be extremely helpful.

Hopefully if nothing else, this has taught my niece the importance of picking a responsible breeder. Thanks!

Re: skin allergies NLR

I've recently discovered (from an article in the WDJ) the benefits of coconut, specifically, the brand CocoTherapy. They have tons of informative/valuable information on their site www.cocotherapy.com. I do one month on Cocotherapy (in the jar), one month fish oil (SeaPet with vitamin E or Lazer's K9 Shine). Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions that were not discussed on their site.

Melatonin supplements work for some dogs.

http://www.nutriscan.org/

Would DEFINITELY do this to start with....I have had wonderful results with this test.

Hey Barb,
My co-worker adopted an Eng. Bullodg from a friend, and she had awful skin problems when she first arrived. Nothing really worked and she was constantly being put on steroids. I was thinking thyroid, but she tested normal. Then she started having petit mal seizures. I finally convinced him to send her blood to Dr. Jean Dodds, and she tested low normal thyroid, and put on supplements.
Lo and behold, her skin cleared up and better yet so did her seizures.
They've already spent $$$$, it might be worth it if it ends the cycle.
Sarita

If the dog has been to a dermatologist, what allergies were diagnosed?