Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NLR

Are there any Akita people out there. I have heard that a 6 month old Akita puppy MUST be of adult size before they will be allowed within the show ring. Personally, I think it is ridiculous, you can't expect a baby to be the same height as the parents by the time it reaches 6 months.

Re: NLR

The Akita standard does not give any allowance for age under a year like the Lab standard does:

Lab standard:
Size, Proportion and Substance
Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

Akita standard:

Size
Males 26 to 28 inches at the withers; bitches 24 to 26 inches. Disqualification--dogs under 25 inches; bitches under 23 inches.

The Golden Retriever standard also does not make any allowance for puppies regarding height.

Is height a disqualification for Akitas? There would seem to be a big difference between "not being allowed in the ring" and not winning because you are a puppy.

JJ
Are there any Akita people out there. I have heard that a 6 month old Akita puppy MUST be of adult size before they will be allowed within the show ring. Personally, I think it is ridiculous, you can't expect a baby to be the same height as the parents by the time it reaches 6 months.

???
Is height a disqualification for Akitas? There would seem to be a big difference between "not being allowed in the ring" and not winning because you are a puppy.

JJ

According to what was posted above, yes height is a disqualification, regardless of age:
Akita standard:

Size
Males 26 to 28 inches at the withers; bitches 24 to 26 inches. Disqualification--dogs under 25 inches; bitches under 23 inches.

One of my closest friends is a very well respected Akita breeder. Yes, there is a height disqualification and yes it applies to puppies. My friend was amazed that Lab puppies were exempt from this disqualification. Same applies to German Short Haired Pointers, a GSP breeder asked me for a copy of the Lab breed standard so she could present it to the GSP parent club.