Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keeping heated water buckets from heavy chewer

My dogs play outside in large play pasture areas with heated water buckets. One of them is a terrible chewer, she' stops playing with the others to chew the plastic heated water bucket. She pulled on the wire wound cord today, pulled it out of the socket (socket is outside of fenced area) and she chewed the whole end off. We can't leave her unmonitored in the house either - she goes for the cords. She's very obedient to "leave it" etc. but a terrible cord chewer. Any ideas?

The play yards can be seen from the house, I told her "leave it" out the door several times when she started chewing the heated bucket but didn't catch the cord being unplugged and pulled into the fenced area:(

They have lots of appropriate toys - balls, Frisbee, sticks, etc. which they all play together with but she always chews the inappropriate - the pool in the summer, water bucket in the winter, etc. She's always out with friends, her mom, and others, so not alone or bored - they have a great time with keep away with the ball etc., but she'll leave the fun to go and CHEW!

She also recently got into chewing zip ties. We've kept fencing on the horse gates for years using zip ties until she discovered the zip ties.

Re: Keeping heated water buckets from heavy chewer

Join the club, I've had bad chewers before. I put my buckets in a milk crate.
I run the cord out the bottom of the milk crate, lace it through the chain link
near the bottom so they can't pull it back through. Then the milk crate is secured to the chain link fence (which helps hide the bucket cord better).
It doesn't stop them from chewing on the lip of the bucket. Believe it or not but I have a bucket years old that the lip edge was eaten years ago and it still works. The rain/snow goes between the bucket sides and out the bottom.
Good Luck

Re: Keeping heated water buckets from heavy chewer

Run the cord through a heavy pvc pipe and attach the pipe to a kennel panel going straight up, I run an extension cord along the top to get to the GFI making sure no dogs can reach it. We also build a wood box to go around the bucket so they can't get to the plastic. Works great. You can also use a big regular bucket and a submersible tank heater with the cord run through a pvc pipe, just make sure not to ever let the bucket run out of water and that its a GFI outdoor outlet to prevent shock if something were to go wrong. Hope that helps....