Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mite we go??????

Darn! I hoped to go to the Piedmont & today I had my girl to the vet. She has mites & the hair around her eyes is gone. With the treatment, the mites should be dead. But will her hair be back in in time for the Piedmont on February 9-10? Please let me know. Entries close this Friday. TIA

Re: Mite we go??????

Demodex or Sarcoptic ?

Not sure. Think it is demodex

Don't show the dog.

exhibitor
Not sure. Think it is demodex

If you don't know then you should get another vet! If it is sarcoptic don't go because you can spread it, if it is demodectic and around the eyes and the dog is a pup then 90% of the time will resolve without treatment . Best of luck!

Sounds like demodex (hair loss around eyes). How old is your girl and what treatment are you doing?

Demodex isn't transmissable like sarcoptic. All dogs have some demodex on their skin - the dogs that have challenges to their immune system are the ones that have a hard time keeping the normal numbers under control and they get the outbreaks. So could be shown if the hair grows back in time - can't imagine it will in time for the show is the only thing. If you have already entered her and are going to go to the show regardless even to just watch the dogs then take her with you. Never know might look fine by then.

If she has sarcoptic keep her home.

please find out if it is sarcoptic or not before you come to the show. Last thing we all need is to catch this

It is demodex. But I gave up. Her eyes looks sort of spooky and I think we need to stay home. There is always next year.