Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Overdone and Moderate Labs - Timing Agenda ?

Everyone has a right to their own opinion but did u ever notice that EVERY year about this time the discussion of labs being too overdone, wishing the breed would swing back to more moderate etc etc etc starts all over again LOL Of course we all expect this topic to be debated till the end of time but what I find VERY curious and VERY transparent, is the timing of this discussion. ALWAYS right before all the new year specialties and the April Potomac show LOL LOL as if this discussion is meant to put pressure on the judges :) let's hope our judges are secure in their own knowledge of what is a good and what is a mediocre labrador :)

This same discussion will also pop up here again in Aug or Sept, right before the fall specialties as well :)

Don't flatter yourself. If we have judges from the UK, they will not be picking the oversized, overdone dogs period. No matter how much pressure is put on them, they select more moderate dogs and have certain traits that they put more emphasis on than many of our American judges do.

I think people are just hopeful that we see the trend of overdone dogs start to dissipate as they have been over the past decade. Yes some still are winning, but I am hopeful the trend toward moderation continues.

I hope we can get the correct coats back into the majority too - that for me is one of the largest losses of function we have had in the last 10 years. Show lines have typically had the stronger coats, but now that many are too long, soft or open, they are no better than the slick singles coats and that is a real shame.

I have contributed to some of the discussion and would have to fly dogs to the show so therefore will never enter dogs at Potomac. I really do not care what dogs the judges put up - that is their decision. I am more concerned about my breeding options down the road if I want to maintain a correct dog with a strong, birdy work ethic. The fact that this conversation keeps popping up is that it is still a concern for many. I would hope a show like the Potomac would have judges that know what a correct Labrador looks like (or they should not be licensed to judge) and would have no need to garner opinions from a chat list!

Coats
I hope we can get the correct coats back into the majority too - that for me is one of the largest losses of function we have had in the last 10 years. Show lines have typically had the stronger coats, but now that many are too long, soft or open, they are no better than the slick singles coats and that is a real shame.

I have contributed to some of the discussion and would have to fly dogs to the show so therefore will never enter dogs at Potomac. I really do not care what dogs the judges put up - that is their decision. I am more concerned about my breeding options down the road if I want to maintain a correct dog with a strong, birdy work ethic. The fact that this conversation keeps popping up is that it is still a concern for many. I would hope a show like the Potomac would have judges that know what a correct Labrador looks like (or they should not be licensed to judge) and would have no need to garner opinions from a chat list!

" I would hope a show like the Potomac would have judges that know what a correct Labrador looks like (or they should not be licensed to judge) and would have no need to garner opinions from a chat list"

Tell it to the judges selection committee and then hope they listen.

LOL, I think you have your timing off. I don't see it happening because of Potomac on the horizon. I see it happening directly AFTER Westminster airs. Think about it.

If a judge is really that insecure, what the DOG looks like is often going to be irrelevant.

I am surprised the griping about parking and cones has not started yet!

Two or three times a year. WHO CARES ! To each his own. DROP IT !

Ha Ha
If a judge is really that insecure, what the DOG looks like is often going to be irrelevant.

dont bother griping about parking and cones I already roped the spaces off and put the cones down

Cone hog
Ha Ha

dont bother griping about parking and cones I already roped the spaces off and put the cones down

I'm not even going this year but make sure you keep my spaces roped off for me so no one can use it. I will mail you your $100 for your time. Thank you.

Doubtful
Don't flatter yourself. If we have judges from the UK, they will not be picking the oversized, overdone dogs period. No matter how much pressure is put on them, they select more moderate dogs and have certain traits that they put more emphasis on than many of our American judges do.

I think people are just hopeful that we see the trend of overdone dogs start to dissipate as they have been over the past decade. Yes some still are winning, but I am hopeful the trend toward moderation continues.

It's what a judge is used to seeing, like being kennel blind.

Where do I mail the check for the parking spot? I see a money making enterprise in the making here!!! Someone that lives close to Frederick could start their stay at the Host hotel the week before and charge $200 per spot and make a fortune.....maybe I will move east
And, just so I am not hijacking the thread. There are a lot of overdone dogs and coats out there. I own one

Breeder
Two or three times a year. WHO CARES ! To each his own. DROP IT !

This attitude is what is wrong with breeders who have no regard for any written standard.

Parking cones. I need one more "great breeder cone", and I will have a "service for eight". The Potomac is better than when my mother would drag me to the movies so she could get a extra dinner plate. I saw "Tammy" 4 times!

Over done or moderate - "Please God", send me two of each!