Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Some Advice For A Friends Dog

A friend of mine messaged me yesterday about her dog. He has been diagnosed with an eye condition(Glaucoma) I have not had experience with. Was hoping some of the listers may have had or know someone who has had this issue and what options she has.

This is the message she sent me:

Hey I need your advice. Utah got Glaucoma in one of his eyes. He's on four meds. Was at the vet today for the follow up from Friday's diagnosis. His pressure went up even though he is on two pressure reducers. Vet figures he's not a medicate case but that his eye should be removed. He's 11.5 years.
He is the same every day. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but according to the vet he is. He seems fine except for being blind in that eye now. I can't tell that he is in pain, except sometimes he won't open his eyes. Let me know if you learn anything.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Re: Need Some Advice For A Friends Dog

Sorry, I have included my email if anyone wants to reply privately.

Thanks
Michelle

Don't know all that much but I do know it is a very painful condition and removing the eye is usually the only option. If he is sometimes closing his eye I would think that the dog is indeed in pain. I had a guinea pig once with gloucoma, common with guinea pigs, and I did have to have the eye removed. If they have not already they should be consulting with an veterinary opthamologist.

Glaucoma is not uncommon in PBGVs. Typically when diagnosed they start the meds to try and reduce the pressure. If that does not work, then removing the affected eye is recommended. Pretty standard recommendations for the disease. A Vet Opthal should be consulted.
Julia

Had a similar problem with my 10yr.old girl. She had glaucoma symptons, took her to an opthamologist and it was a melanoma. She had the eye removed and is doing great.

They need to go to a vet ophthalmologist pronto. He may have a tumor in that eye.

Cornell uses laser surgery for melanoma. Saves the eye and works well. Not sure if laser can be used for glaucoma.