Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pasterns and Paws

I have a 6 month old male puppy who just recently turned a bit easty westy and down in the pasterns. I've switched him to adult food. Has anyone had this happen and seen it correct? Hoping it's a growth phase.

Re: Pasterns and Paws

Yes, add vitamin C 500mg am and again pm. Mine corrected within 3 weeks with giving Vitamin C supplements.

Mine correct without doing anything with diet or supplements; it's a developmental phase - unless a parent(s) had sloppy pasterns.

I've also used Vit-C at this age and the problem corrected itself :)

Be careful with the supplements and vitamin C stuff. Just wait, feed a good dog food, and give your dog quality exercise. Everything should work out fine if it is meant to be.

Patience
Be careful with the supplements and vitamin C stuff. Just wait, feed a good dog food, and give your dog quality exercise. Everything should work out fine if it is meant to be.

What do you mean 'be careful with the supplements and vitamin C stuff'?
I thought giving vitamin C would be OK?

??
What do you mean 'be careful with the supplements and vitamin C stuff'?
I thought giving vitamin C would be OK?

Vitamin C is one of the water soluble vitamins. Anything the body doesn't use will be excreted in the urine. So it's a waste of money to feed extra but in most cases it won't hurt.

You have to be more careful about fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) which will be stored in fat and can get to toxic levels.

You also have to be careful about minerals. It's not only the amount of certain minerals but the balance between them that is important. Toxicity could easily be a problem as well as deficiency.

The dog food companies spend a lot of money on nutritionists and testing to ensure that all of the above are in balance. If you have better information than they do - by all means use your information!

Thank you Nancy.
I knew about the other vitamin's that you have to be careful. That is why I asked why do you need to be careful when supplementing with vitamin C.

I use sodium ascorbate isn't the Vit C coupled with another ingredient like calcium or something?

Are you thinking of Ester C....not the same as vitamin C