Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Attention Raw feeders

I am wondering what Raw users feed for training treats?

If you were to get raw that you could just buy in a store instead of making your own what kind would you buy?

I am thinking of going raw but did not want to do basic. I would like it already mixed to make sure they were getting all they need.

Re: Attention Raw feeders

I use a variety of training treats, but most often use freeze-dried chicken and turkey hearts. I also use these as bait in the ring. They are not crumbly, nor chewy, so they break in half when needed and are gobbled up without a lot of chomping, etc.

I have only fed the raw products produced by Bravo and Oma's Pride. I fed Oma's for about 3 years, then switched to Bravo (I'm part of a co-op and the group switched). I left the Bravo group and started my own co-op with Oma's and have been back with them for 3 years. I have not tried the varieties available in some pet food stores, so I can't comment.

I have read a lot about raw, and much of it is conflicting. I can say that raw mixes that include meat, organ and bone are the foundation. If the mix also includes (blanched) vegetables, there are a few more nutrients, but I don't really think the veggies make a tremendous difference. I do feed extra organ meat (beef and chicken), as well as ground raw salmon (skin, bones, meat)in addition to mixes. I feed ground tripe several times a week. Finally, I use a daily supplement made by Oma's which is essentially identical to Canine Complete or others like that.

I would be happy to chat privately if you would like more info.

Re: Attention Raw feeders

I've been feeding raw for almost 20 years. I make some of my own as well as using Bravo, Oma's Pride, Aunt Jeni's, Primal, Untamed, Nature's Logic, Green Tripe and raw meaty bones and whole mackerel. The better foods don't have any synthetic vitamins added. I use different brands because I like to give my dogs as much variety as possible. I use patties for show weekends because they are easy. You need to find some raw feeders in your area. They will be able to direct you to raw food stores or co-ops. As for treats, I use Plato treats (duck or chicken and veggie strips) or Merrick or Jones Natural and Fresh is Best freeze dried chicken and turkey hearts. I never use any treats from China. In the ring, I use cooked roast beef, chicken or smoked turkey franks. I hope this helps! Raw is easy once you get used to it.