Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Westminster kennel club

See that the counts are posted for Westminster.
Wow, surprised by the lack of class dogs!
Wonder why????

Re: Westminster kennel club

Ummmmmmm..... Westminster doesn't have anything but BOB (for champions of record only of course) then groups! There hasn't been regular classes for WD/WB for YEARS!!!

That changed this year, I think the venue is going to be difficult this year and $75, plus getting into the city and parking, makes it a very expensive all breed show and it's not even at the Garden. Just think it won't be the same till it's back at the Garden. I can't imagine having to go back and forth!

Wow - didn't know that, not that I can afford the $$$ to go there, hire a handler, etc...........

Sorry for the mis-information!

Just looked - entry is 54 - Retrievers (Labrador) 8-6-(22-18), so looking up on the point schedule, that's only a single point for WD/WB (unless of course they go either BOS or BOB).

Breeder
Wow - didn't know that, not that I can afford the $$$ to go there, hire a handler, etc...........

Sorry for the mis-information!

Just looked - entry is 54 - Retrievers (Labrador) 8-6-(22-18), so looking up on the point schedule, that's only a single point for WD/WB (unless of course they go either BOS or BOB).

I bet a lot of people did not know that. I do believe that the classes are limited to major pointed dogs only though. Maybe this is the reason for the smaller class entry.

I don't think they did a very good job of letting people know there would be classes this year. They only have 3 classes--Bred-by, Open and Am Bred. All entries must be major pointed. I think they will have more entries for classes next year, when people are more aware of it.

as long as the entry is limited, and they promote champions - there will never be enough class dogs for a major at Westminster

I disagree. There are 8 boys entered this year. Not too many people were aware of the class entries. Next year, there could easily be 16 boys entered. Major.

This is the same venue Westminster had back in the 1960s except the show was all in one place, back then and the entry fee was $25.

I was planning to go as a spectator this year. Changed my mind when I saw the ticket prices!!

When I went a few years ago I did General Admission and paid $75 for full entry both days - was able to watch any and all breed judging each day and watch Groups at night (not reserved seating but that was ok).

Now it is $25 each day to go to the Piers for breed judging plus over $40 each night (reserved seating only) to watch Groups - no thank you. I will save my money for another time! Too bad - I was really excited about going.

Unfortunately, there is usually a 20% absentee rate at Westminster. If they don't raise the total entry, I don't think the classes will have majors