Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Requesting input or suggestions, please? Torn CCL

My 80 lb., 4 year old male has a complete tear of his CCL. We are meeting with the surgeon this afternoon. I know he routinely does TPLO.
I am wondering if anyone has had experience, good or bad, with the TTA procedure? Or if the vets you know are recommending it? I don’t know much about it except from what I’ve read on the internet and I want to be prepared if that is thrown out as an option or a recommendation.
Specifically, what would be best long term?
Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions. I want to do what’s best for my boy.

Re: Requesting input or suggestions, please? Torn CCL

Here's a site with lots of info to check out. Good luck with your boy!

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/

This is my Vet's website......I think you will find it very informative on CCL injuries. Dr Leahy has done two TTA surgeries for me.....I highly recommend it !!

http://caninekneesurgery.com/

Mary S
Specifically, what would be best long term?
Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions. I want to do what’s best for my boy.

What's best in the long term is the surgery your surgeon is most familiar with. Then get the best rehab you can afford.

My 5 yr old neutered male is 12 days post TTA surgery. The surgeon we went to said she had more success with TTA than TPLO so that is all they do. When I asked why she preferred it, she laughed and said she just did it better. So I agree, do your own research and then find a surgeon you trust. Good luck! It is going to be a very long 12 weeks here!
Julia

I have a 100 lbs very active male who had a traditional lateral suture repair at 2 years of age.The dog is now 6 years old and very sound. Strict confinement at first and then rehabilitation works no matter what surgery is done.

Curious what the average is that people are paying for any of the surgeries these days?

We met with a different surgeon yesterday (board certified ortho guy) and are going with a TTA soon. Date not set in stone yet, but within the next week.
CM, thank you for the orthodogs site. I've learned alot there already.