Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home treatment for mattery eye?

I am training a pup for a family. He has one eye that occasionally has some matter around it, not bad, but there once in awhile. Family will gladly come and take pup to the vet if I ask them too, but since it's so mild, I am wondering if there is a home treatment. The conjuntiva is normal color as is the sclera, so I'm not too worried. I just want to save family time, etc., coming out to get pup and run him to the vet if there is something I can do here first. I can't help but wonder if he has a plugged tear duct like human babies get. They have to bring him in for vaccines in a few weeks anyway, so can have it thoroughly checked out then if I can do something here now.

Re: Home treatment for mattery eye?

A drop of cod liver oil is good for red eyes. I don't know if it would help in this case, but it wouldn't do any harm.

I use a CLO capsule, prick it, squirt in a drop and give the dog the rest to eat.

I wouldn't put anything in another person's dog. What if it got worse, you could get the blame.

Dr. Mike Lange on Cod Liver oil topically in the eye.
I would be very careful putting any non approved and non studied substances in your eyes! The issues I would have with cod liver oil or fish oil is most of the products availabe are of the ethyl ester variety, this basically means the purification process creates ethanol!! Now you can do an easy study on your own and take a fish oil capsule or cod liver oil capsule and squeeze it in a styrofoam cup wait about five or ten minutes and look at what happens. If it has ethanol (ethyl esters) it willl eat right thru the cup and you can even hear it sizzling!! Now is that something you would want to put in your eyes? may cause a significant chemical kearatitis! May compound your problem. Your stomach can handle that small amount of ethanol as long as you arent taking super high concentrations of fish or cod liver oil. Take the cod liver oil orally per the directions and you will get some beneftis for dry eyes ( minimal). I dont know if you used the triglyceride based form of cod liver oils or fish oils what would happen, and I dont know of any studies so personally I would put it in your mouth and not your eyes. Cod liver oil is a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin D, too much will cause vitamin A toxicity and potential liver problems. Hope this helps.

Michael P. Lange OD
Lange Eye Care / Lange Eye Institute
www.langeeyecare.com
www.fortifeye.com

Try warm washcloth several times a day and massage the tear duct after the washcloth has been applied to help open it up.

I'm reading Don Hamilton's book on the CLO -

'conventional meds contain cortisone, steroids which greatly enhance the likelihood of ulceration and eyeball rupture when applied for conjunctivitis and should NEVER be used in cases of corneal ulcer or damage. He goes on to say steroids interfere with the immune system and the antibiotics contained in the all meds are useless given most eye problems are viral, injury or allergy. In the case of a secondary infection only are antibiotics useful.'
http://books.google.ca/books?id=nwQ3TvOMWxwC&pg=PA465&lpg=PA465&dq=email+Don+Hamilton,+DVM+New+Mexico&source=bl&ots=Q4CbtroUaS&sig=r9Vi1Ncz_o1EALR-8NezKgzfNP4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XqMKUb3BOpGBrQGbrYHgBQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=email%20Don%20Hamilton%2C%20DVM%20New%20Mexico&f=false
Page 192

'Vitamin A is a great stimulant for corneal healing. Use cod liver oil, and place 1 drop directly in the eye daily, then give about 1/8th teaspoon per 10 pounds daily by mouth.'

Regarding the previous reply, I see this "Cod liver oil is a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin D, too much will cause vitamin A toxicity and potential liver problems." and that is a load of HOGWASH!!! Because he has not defined the circumstances required to become toxic from CLO. If you drink a BOTTLE of CLO certainly you will have a problem.