Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crate Beds For Chewers?

I need to get some crate beds that are tough!
Any sites anyone can suggest for beds for chewers?
Thanks!

Re: Crate Beds For Chewers?

I have these and I love them. I've heard some complaints about his customer service, but I've had nothing but good from him - he even replaced and shipped me one that the Post office had damaged, for FREE.

http://primopads.com/

I love primo pads, but chewers will get into them. I've also had them ruined by nesters (the ones that dig before laying down). Until the chewers grow out of it, I put stall mats in their crates.

Another vote for Primo pads. I have quite a few in the crates in my van along with my house and recommend them to all my puppy buyers.

I've only had a dog chew through one once and it was just a tiny bit on the corner. The pad was still usable. Even so, Gary (the owner) promptly sent me a replacement pad even before I had sent the $ for replacement shipping, no questions asked.

Maybe it makes a difference if you are talking about use for house dogs versus everyday use in the kennel? I also think they are better suited for use in a crate rather than as a stand alone dog bed. In the crate, they should fit snug up against the edges which makes it quite difficult for a dog to grasp the edge and chew it. Gary also offers a way to utilize reusable zip ties to secure the pad to a crate making it even more difficult for a dog to be able to grasp an edge of the pad to chew.

Nothing is chew or dig proof and I make pads! I have a few primo pads and they have worked well-but some dogs will dig up the corners and get at them.
Because I have the means, I've removed the crate pans and cut a board to fit the bottom - placed 1" dense foam and a heavy weight woven vinyl over the top - stapled to the back side. This has worked well for me and so far for a friends dogs. Nice and quiet to.
All but one of my dogs can have crate pads.... the one who cannot and is known to eat things has done well with this.

yes, a little more work to clean if you have a mess to clean up.

I've had great success with Kuranda beds with the legs removed. I bought the PVC framed bed that comes with screw-on legs.

I have a bed shredder and I can tell you one that was a disappointment. I bought her a Kong bolstered crate pad last week with high hopes. I'll be dipped if she didn't pull back the corner and shred it from the backside within 48 hours!

Give the Primo Pad a try. Was recommended to me by someone who has a destroyer, hers has lasted 5 years. I have an 18month old nester and chewer. Have had the primo pad for a week and he has not been able to get the corners up and chew them off. He did a fair amount of nesting to break it in and now he is leaving it alone. We have the Kuranda cot for his "place" and he does a fair amount of digging on that and has not destroyed that either.