Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's your opinion....

If a well used popular stud dog became deceased at a rather young age do you think it's ethical for the owner to not disclose why? And why do you think someone wouldn't tell?

Re: What's your opinion....

I don't think it would necessarily be unethical. What if it was some horrible accident many wouldn't understand- sharing would get the breeder a bad rep. A trajic hunting accident comes to mind. On the other hand, it would be unethical in my opinion not to reveal a serious, deadly genetic or hereditary condition the dog carried to unsuspecting bitch owners. It would come down to an issue of trust as to whether or not I'd use the stud. And I don't trust many fully- so I probably would choose another stud.

Did you ask the owner and they would not tell? Or is it just that it is not written about on their website? The tragic death of a beloved dog may have been a painful experience and hard to talk about to or publicize to the world. A tactful and sympatheticaly worded question may result in an answer.

If you have a question ask the BREEDER , don't come on here trying to stir up a stink. If the Breeder chooses not to confide in you, I can see why, you just came on a public forum to discuss private business, I wouldn't confide in you either. This falls under , "none of your business" . You either buy semen or you don't . When you have a famous stud dog , then you will fully understand what you have just started, untill then you will behave like the injured party. Move on.

In this case, if the breeder was asked and stated they don't know, they probably don't. Dogs get sick. Whether they are studs or dams or pets. Cancer, wierd illnesses, autoimmune. Whatever. Some is genetic, some is not. Sometimes you just don't know.

The truth is that many just don't want to talk about dirty laundry. For some reason our breed is very cut-throat. No one wants to talk about the big diseases that plague our breed. No one openly shares dogs who have had epilepsy or random seizures. No one shares when they have a dog with TVD so others can keep an eye on a particular pedigree. Breeders rotate out their dogs like library books....we never know if it's due to asthetic issues like top line or tail set sucked, or if a health issue presented itself. No one wants to have people in their business (for good reason).

Many times I see and read how we are supposed to do things, yet so many times we see that folks we look up to or want to emmulate are not doing those those same things themselves. Then we get the folks who scream MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. It's really no wonder everyone keeps things close to the vest whenever possible. No one wants to get caught as the one everyone is talking about.

Amen!

breeder
If you have a question ask the BREEDER , don't come on here trying to stir up a stink. If the Breeder chooses not to confide in you, I can see why, you just came on a public forum to discuss private business, I wouldn't confide in you either. This falls under , "none of your business" . You either buy semen or you don't . When you have a famous stud dog , then you will fully understand what you have just started, untill then you will behave like the injured party. Move on.

Not that it's any of YOUR business but I used the deceased stud dog a few years ago, I live across the country from the breeder and they won't say. I chose to keep the details private and I'm not trying to "stir up a stink"! Maybe you should learn to comprehend what was written before you act like a bitch.

What is sad is there have been several nice stud dogs pass at to me an early age. Eight to ten years. Some I had used and they were nice enough to tell me why, as they knew it. Sometimes you don't know. Sometimes you can look at the pedigree and guess. We can worry, will our pups have what the sire had, but it really is a waste of time. Most will not even be honest with us about TVD, Seizures, etc. No clear dogs out there. Not really.